View Full Version : 708WHP sand rail

slow4dr
01-04-2019, 12:17 PM
2JZ powered of course. This company is located in Lake Elsinore California and they will be testing it at Glamis this weekend. Hoepfully they will get some in action vids for us. Turbonetics T-72 turbo(32 psi), ebay manifold, stock intake manifold, stock long block, Haltech E11v2

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-4427-1136007604_thumb.jpg

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-4427-1135312603_thumb.jpg

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-4427-1135312642_thumb.jpg

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-4427-1136007716_thumb.jpg

Here is a vid of it on the dyno. http://www.danzioperformance.com/video/2jz.wmv

htoudiee
01-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Dude, I love that sound of the turbo as it's going to full spool... I wish SRT woulda sounded like that (it does, but just not as loud)

ViscousCircles
01-04-2019, 01:10 PM
SiCk!

punkrokdood
01-04-2019, 01:13 PM
:hit:

gudeman00
01-04-2019, 01:17 PM
That would be so fun to bring out to my parents and take out in the pasture or just across the cornfields... wait we have a jeep for that... :thumb:
Very nice.

punkrokdood
01-04-2019, 01:18 PM
That would be so fun to bring out to my parents and take out in the pasture or just across the cornfields... wait we have a jeep for that... :thumb:
Very nice.
a 700+ hp jeep that weighs less than 2000 lbs???? :lol:

Fourbanger
01-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Damn i love how the bitch sags as he gets on it. Great name for it too.

el_jefe
01-04-2019, 01:46 PM
What transaxle are they using, the rhino?

slow4dr
01-04-2019, 01:51 PM
What transaxle are they using, the rhino?

Mendeola S5

http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/s4s_s5s.php

el_jefe
01-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Mendeola S5

http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/s4s_s5s.php

Yeah, thats a stout one. Didn't know they had an adaptor for the 2jz tho. I passed a shitload of rails on my way to and from socal right befor new years, and mine still sits in the garage.

slow4dr
01-04-2019, 02:07 PM
Yeah, thats a stout one. Didn't know they had an adaptor for the 2jz tho. I passed a shitload of rails on my way to and from socal right befor new years, and mine still sits in the garage.

I hate going home on the 10 on Halloween & New Years weekends.

I think he used a GM bolt pattern on the tranny and the GM adapter similar to what I have on the engine.

el_jefe
01-04-2019, 02:12 PM
THe GM bolt pattern makes sense, there are a bunch of northstar v8's in the dunes. I left friday afternoon, and the traffic wasn't too bad. I left Tustin around 4, and got out of riverside by 5. After that it was golden

slow4dr
01-04-2019, 02:24 PM
THe GM bolt pattern makes sense, there are a bunch of northstar v8's in the dunes. I left friday afternoon, and the traffic wasn't too bad. I left Tustin around 4, and got out of riverside by 5. After that it was golden

Friday wasn't that bad but Wednesday & Thrusday were a joke. Most of them use the 10 now instead of the 60.

el_jefe
01-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Friday wasn't that bad but Wednesday & Thrusday were a joke. Most of them use the 10 now instead of the 60.

I came in Weds night, 10 to 60/215 to 91. But as I usually do, I hit it late at night, and was able to maintain my 90+ cruising speed all the way through. I do like the toll road over the mountain into Irvine.

gspeedaddict
01-04-2019, 04:03 PM
nice!!

slow4dr
01-04-2019, 04:05 PM
I came in Weds night, 10 to 60/215 to 91. But as I usually do, I hit it late at night, and was able to maintain my 90+ cruising speed all the way through. I do like the toll road over the mountain into Irvine.

Yeah, you missed the bad parts and you were going the wrog way. :lol: The 10 between the 15 and the 60 is poop. The 60 gets pretty bad but because it's small in the canyons most of the trailers take the 10 instead.

el_jefe
01-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Yeah, you missed the bad parts and you were going the wrog way. :lol: The 10 between the 15 and the 60 is poop. The 60 gets pretty bad but because it's small in the canyons most of the trailers take the 10 instead.

Only reason I ever take the 10 to the 15 is if I am going to the track, or if the wife wants to hit the Bobs Big Boy out there. The canyons on the 60 are the best part of the drive. :thumb:

slow4dr
01-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Only reason I ever take the 10 to the 15 is if I am going to the track, or if the wife wants to hit the Bobs Big Boy out there. The canyons on the 60 are the best part of the drive. :thumb:

Agreed! Next time you come through the 60 exit at Redlands Blvd and take it north. Follow it through the hills to the stop sign. Turn left and go to the next stop sign. Turn right and go over the rail road tracks. Nail throttle and enjoy the next 5 miles of craziness. Merge onto the 10 freeway in Yucaipa.

el_jefe
01-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Is that Live Oak Canyon Rd? I think I have run that one before.

slow4dr
01-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Is that Live Oak Canyon Rd? I think I have run that one before.

Sure is :hit:

poorwboy
01-04-2019, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=slow4dr]2JZ powered of course. This company is located in Lake Elsinore California and they will be testing it at Glamis this weekend. Hoepfully they will get some in action vids for us. Turbonetics T-72 turbo(32 psi), ebay manifold, stock intake manifold, stock long block, Haltech E11v2

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-4427-1136007604_thumb.jpg

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-4427-1135312603_thumb.jpg

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-4427-1135312642_thumb.jpg

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-4427-1136007716_thumb.jpg

Here is a vid of it on the dyno. http://www.danzioperformance.com/video/2jz.wmv[/QUOTE
Very nice but death is upon them.:lol:

slow4dr
06-27-2019, 04:39 PM
update=OUCH

Your input and experiences are greatly appreciated. I am one of the owners of DanZio Performace Engineering in California. I am running the only buggy with a 2JZgte that is known to exist. Some of you may have seen the videos on our web site. I chose this engine for my own personal car because of our experience with street cars and the great reputation of this engine being durable.

However, we have had more issues with this engine than any other engine we have ever had come through our doors. I love the power and want to keep running it, but I am about to take this thing out and chuck it in the trash if I can't figure out how to make this thing live for more than 2 weekends.

Just to get it out of the way, there are zero tuning issues or engine assembly. We have an in house mustang dyno, and I have tons of hours logged running and testing this thing on the dyno. Air fuel ratios are perfect.

I do however, beat the hell out of this thing. On a typical dune ride, this sucker will spend most of the time at @20 psi from 4500 to 7500 for up to 20 or 30 minutes at a time. This may be the problem. However before this is pinpointed to be the problem, we have zero problems running subarus or LS series Chevy engines in the same manner. They often last for years. We turn it up to around 30 psi for the sand drags which is @ 1/8th mile.

Here is a breakdown of the engine followed by associated problems.

Carrilo rods
JE pistons
Clevite bearings
Crower springs and retainers
Stock head and cams
ARP head studs
ATI damper
1000cc RC injectors
T-66 Turbo

First major failure. Was running the car at @ 30 psi for about 5 minutes in short burst one right after the other. Blew the head gasket & lost coolant very quickly. Warped the hell out of the head. Full rebuild with new head.

Next major failure. Running around 18psi. Was not beating on the car very hard. Punched it, ripped through a couple of gears, and lost a rod in #6 at about 7000prm. Parts came out on both sides and the botton of the block. Ruined it. We determined that it stuck the rod to the crank and broke it. There was bearing wear on #3 rod bearing as well.

Next failure. Another rod bearing. I can barely hear it knocking, and will have it tore apart by Friday to determine the damage. However it has deffinitly lost another bearing.

Constantly have leaky front main seals, but no signs of crank walk. We may be getting some sand in the seal, but can't make that determination for sure.

So I guess what I am asking is WTF???!! Do these things have oiling issues? Is there any one out ther that beats there car like this? I would equate it to a road racing type of condition. Is there anyone running a 2JZ in these types of extreme condtitions? If so, what are they doing to make it live. I am wondering if everything is just getting too hot and working to hard eventhough the coolant temp doesn't ever get above 210 F. My next thing is to put this thing on methenol to try and get this thing to live. Any suggestions, constructive comments or questions is appreciated. Pulling this thing out every two or three trip is getting real old and real expensive.

Josh
DanZio Performance Engineering

Not too much. I'd have to look in the map to get the exact numbers, but they are approximatly around 18 degrees to about 18 psi and then start pulling around a degree per couple pounds or so after that untill it stops around 12 degrees. Pretty conservative given the way we run it. I have always ran it on Sunoco 112 octane race fuel.

We ditched the center pan after the first bearing issue. I went to the lexus pan which has the sump at the front of the engine, which is at the rear of my car given it is a rear engine. This was our first thought as to the oiling problem.

Pressure runs up to about 80psi. We modded the pump for more pressure.

Am possitive there is no detonation. We have correction maps pulling timing for increase in air temp, run it a little rich, allways run 112 octane, have never heared any lean pop or detonation, and we are very conservative for timing. Every time it has come apart, we have also inspected the pistons for detonation No signs. I very confident that it is not a tuning or fuel issue.

I'm not sure on the bearing clearances. My partner Chris assembled the engine.

We have tried torco 20-50 synthetic and Vavloline racing 20-50 (the stuff you get through race teams). Failure on both of these.

The only thing I have not monitored is the oil temp. A gauge is going in this week and we will test it next week.

Thank you guys all for the suggestions so far. I do run a massive oil cooler, but it is a crappy location. I was never too worried about it beacuse o fit's size, but am now narrowing it down to the one last thing I haven't monitored. I am most suspect of oil temps and breakdown of oil. We are going to monitor this next week at the race we are running.

I was also wondering about enough oiling getting back to that #6 cylinder.

I've thought about oil starvation in the pick up, but have pretty much ruled this out. None of the other brands of motors we mess with have this issue with way less of an oiling system.

I have thought about dry sumping it, and may pursue this option. If I'm going as far as putting it on methanol, then I may as well dry sump it too. It just seems like I am having to do a lot of extra work to get this particular engine to live.

I am in no way trying to advertise here and we mostly work on sand cars. However, if you want to check the car out on video and also rule out any of the rookie mistakes that may have been made on the car, you can check out our web site. www.danzioperformance.com

el_jefe
06-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Dry sump FTW. I would think angles of + or - 40 degrees are common. Could be oil cooling, but if the oil was breaking down from heat, temps would go up.

slow4dr
06-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Dry sump FTW. I would think angles of + or - 40 degrees are common. Could be oil cooling, but if the oil was breaking down from heat, temps would go up.

I'm wondering the same thing. I am sure that car is not only climbing hills but it is also standing on the back tires making the angle even that much worse.

gudeman00
06-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Yeah the videos of all these things that we see on the dyno are impressive but i want to see this thing in action!

el_jefe
06-27-2019, 11:01 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I am sure that car is not only climbing hills but it is also standing on the back tires making the angle even that much worse.

Yeah, if my little air cooled stands on its wheels in third, I am thinking this one is up all the time.

wannasupra
06-29-2019, 12:13 PM
your rail might be a little lighter than this one. i'd still like to see it with some paddles, ripping ass across the sand at 100+

el_jefe
06-29-2019, 01:17 PM
your rail might be a little lighter than this one. i'd still like to see it with some paddles, ripping ass across the sand at 100+

Much lighter. I doubt it weighs over 900 lbs. Light makes right. :thumb:

|