View Full Version : piggy back fuel computer battle!

13SecPTCruiser
01-07-2019, 01:37 AM
what one is better and why?

punkrokdood
01-07-2019, 01:43 AM
dtec.. ease of use, good resolution on the maps, makes "smooth" fuel maps instead of choppy fuel maps, expandability, data logging, gauges, built in boost control (as an option,) less wiring, CUSTOMER SUPPORT, availability of knowledgeable tuners (dtec is very new, smt6 is old, yet more tuners seem to be familiar with dtec than smt6... that should say something)

emanage is also a VERY good unit, but its full abilities are not useable on the srt-4 (or PTGT) unfortunately

LittleMT
02-26-2019, 04:48 PM
I don't like piggybacks but, we make big power with Emanage...

ptperformance
10-16-2019, 12:47 PM
PTP FTM, and isnt emanage a piggy back since it doesnt controll timing on our cars???

blackbird
10-16-2019, 01:53 PM
Yes, but I think Lucille was saying that while not optimal (like any of the piggybacks), they still made some nice numbers at the track and dyno on theirs.

ptperformance
10-16-2019, 06:11 PM
Yes, but I think Lucille was saying that while not optimal (like any of the piggybacks), they still made some nice numbers at the track and dyno on theirs.
Gotcha, missed that. Does emanage have an autotune feature? (tunes off wideband output?)

blackbird
10-17-2019, 08:54 AM
It's been a while but I believe you can set one up to perform like an auto-tune device but I don't think the old blue version could do it "out of the box" as an advertised feature on the SRT-4. The new emanage Ultimate can do it but it requires workarounds on the older box. There should be someone on the srtforums that described how to do it a couple years ago if I remember correctly and I had briefly looked at it myself a long time back. If I don't go standalone when my car goes back together I have some other things in the works and don't plan on going the piggyback route but the emanage does have a ton of capabilities.

punkrokdood
10-17-2019, 09:01 AM
^^^
i believe it was Sour Kraut
srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158399

blackbird
10-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Also think beyond the SRT-4. The e-Manage has been out and used for a long time on other cars, and if you do a search on some of the Honda, import and other boards you'll find additional info and tricks you can do with it.

punkrokdood
10-17-2019, 03:22 PM
that's why i didnt vote. if you're gonna spend the money on a piggyback fuel system, then either you're a ricer or your car is modified such that you need to be able to control your ignition as well. thus, you need a full standalone. you can't just take advil and hope everything works out, when you really need an appendectomy, right?
who said it was ideal???

who even IMPLIED that it was ideal???

yes standalone is better. piggybacks will work though, especially if you don't have an extra 4-10k for a standalone and dyno time

ptperformance
10-18-2019, 05:18 PM
I have to agree with punkrokdood on the piggy back vs standalone, but with a stock turbo how much more can you get out of it? Our FTM with autotune has made as much as 60 ft lbs of torque and over 30 HP gains on the stock turbo. I doubt that a stand alone would be able to do much better. If you are big turbo that wants to make over 600 HP yes stand alone is the safest way to go. You have to take into account of the HP per dollar that you are willing to spend and I hate to say it but we are dealing with a neon and not every one has $2500 to spend on just a stand alone little alone the dyno time.

DJ2
12-09-2019, 02:56 AM
hey guys, I was talking to a friend lastnight about a Howell 2.6 stroker (sold already :gcry:) and he has an SMT6 that he is willing to give me so I can ditch the emanage that I have never gotten to cooperate worth a shit. I have read the it will not read our crank sensor... is this correct? How well does it work on the st4?and will Jason please stop sending me naked pics?

DJ2
12-09-2019, 08:42 AM
:bump:

punkrokdood
12-09-2019, 11:23 AM
hey guys, I was talking to a friend lastnight about a Howell 2.6 stroker (sold already :gcry:) and he has an SMT6 that he is willing to give me so I can ditch the emanage that I have never gotten to cooperate worth a shit. I have read the it will not read our crank sensor... is this correct? How well does it work on the st4?and will Jason please stop sending me naked pics?
smt-6 is same as the psi-fi power paq. it works. its a PITA to tune, but i'd only consider it if it was free, and even then, its doubtful that i'd put it on my car. DCR uses the SMT-6, so it can't be all bad, but i still thing there are other options that are better for the srt-4. maybe you could sell it and buy a dtec??? :lol:

i don't know anyone actively using the PTP FTM, but from what i've seen it looks like a nice option

evil_2
12-09-2019, 11:49 AM
safc-1...why you ask?

well its cheap, adjusts fuel,changes map and i tuned it myself with my wideband....and for my setup thats all i really need

punkrokdood
12-09-2019, 01:42 PM
safc-1...why you ask?

well its cheap, adjusts fuel,changes map and i tuned it myself with my wideband....and for my setup thats all i really need
safc-1 works too...

but like anything, the newer technology adds more features.

i like dtec for the extra maps, better resolution, expandability, and extra features. even if you get the FC only now, you can have it upgraded to the FC/BC later on.

evil_2
12-09-2019, 01:44 PM
safc-1 works too...

but like anything, the newer technology adds more features.

i like dtec for the extra maps, better resolution, expandability, and extra features. even if you get the FC only now, you can have it upgraded to the FC/BC later on.

true....

the dtec is awsome but most dont need it..alot of the piggybacks arent needed unless you go big turbo..so much money is wasted on high dollar stuff when its not needed..

punkrokdood
12-09-2019, 02:01 PM
true....

the dtec is awsome but most dont need it..alot of the piggybacks arent needed unless you go big turbo..so much money is wasted on high dollar stuff when its not needed..
i won't quite go that far...

i consider piggybacks more of a bandaid when it comes to big turbos. ideally, a standalone, or re-programming of the PCM should be used. since we can't really flash our PCM's at this time, standalones are the way to go, but a decent piggyback can be used to a certain extent. a much more powerful and safer tune can be had from the standalone though :thumb:

i personally think that its best to get the best piggyback you can, regardless of the application. not to say a cheaper one, or one with less features is bad, just that if you have $300-$500 to spend on a piggyback, then don't go cheap on a $100 one. if you have $100, then get the best you can with that $100 :thumb:

just my personal preferences... partly why my car is still slow :lol:

evil_2
12-09-2019, 04:22 PM
well i wish there were more options as far as a stand alone....$2k is hard to swallow if you ask me...

punkrokdood
12-09-2019, 05:04 PM
well i wish there were more options as far as a stand alone....$2k is hard to swallow if you ask me...
i agree...

megasquirt is always an option if price is a concern :lol:

Thirteens420k
12-09-2019, 06:25 PM
i agree...

megasquirt is always an option if price is a concern :lol:
Megasquirt FTMFW!!!

norcal3737
12-12-2019, 01:28 AM
my vote goes for dtec.

i was able to get a decent base map all dialed in w/in 15min.

if you cant figure out how to use a dtec, then i dont know what to say.

its the most easiest thing to use aside from an electric tooth brush

|