View Full Version : dialing in cams=harder to start?

phillysrt4
01-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Mods, move this where you think apropos.

As most of you know, I dialed my cams in 2 adv intake, 3 ret exhaust. Since then, it has been really sluggish in starting in the morning (it mid-upper 20'sF or about -1 to -3C). It wasn't this way on my stage 2 before putting the cams in.

I take it that the slow starting is due to the overlap I dialed in?

punkrokdood
01-07-2019, 11:27 AM
yes... cams in general can make it harder to start your car. it is theoretically possible to make a cam so big that your car won't even start... but no respectable manufacturer will do that. :lol:

i wish i could tell you more, but that's all i remember off the top of my head. i'm not a cam expert, but i have read on them. if i remember more, i'll let you know

poorwboy
01-07-2019, 02:59 PM
What is the lift and duration on those cams compared to stock.

phillysrt4
01-08-2019, 10:28 PM
http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=2050

stock specs are there including 10's-18's

poorwboy
01-08-2019, 10:39 PM
http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=2050

stock specs are there including 10's-18's
There is alot of lift on those cams, which is typical. Boosted motors do not like duration, but want alot of lift. It must have something to do with lift which would make sense. What does the car do in the morning.

slow4dr
01-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Am I the only who thinks those cams aren't for the SRT4? All the descriptions are N/A based.

"header w/low restriction exhaust, ported intake w/low restriction air intake system"

"High compression pistons, race header w/equal length long primary tubes"

"Use low restriction intake exhaust. Good power on or off bottle"

"Use low restriction intake/exhaust and aftermarket ECM for max performance. Works well with stock engine/compression"

"Strong upper mid to top end with turbo"

punkrokdood
01-09-2019, 11:03 AM
^^^ all of those descriptions are about 5 years old, and based off of the neon N/A 2.0 engine

Rage has been experimenting with 16's on a mildly modified car, and having very good results

slow4dr
01-09-2019, 11:07 AM
^^^ all of those descriptions are about 5 years old, and based off of the neon N/A 2.0 engine

Rage has been experimenting with 16's on a mildly modified car, and having very good results

It sounds like they update their website as often as Banks does. :owned:

phillysrt4
01-09-2019, 12:01 PM
There is alot of lift on those cams, which is typical. Boosted motors do not like duration, but want alot of lift. It must have something to do with lift which would make sense. What does the car do in the morning.

It just seems kind of sluggish like it doesn't want to turn over. I usually have to key cycle twice and on the 2nd one it starts right up after a crank

EDIT - if i get a chance tonight I will check the cam card because apparently they changed the grind or something and these are specific SRT/pt turbo cams. I'll keep you posted.

el_jefe
01-09-2019, 12:11 PM
I have never put cams in an engine without bumping up the compression, so I dunno. I have noticed that Stage 2 does not like driving on cold mornings without warming up first.

el_jefe
01-09-2019, 12:12 PM
It just seems kind of sluggish like it doesn't want to turn over. I usually have to key cycle twice and on the 2nd one it starts right up after a crank

EDIT - if i get a chance tonight I will check the cam card because apparently they changed the grind or something and these are specific SRT/pt turbo cams. I'll keep you posted.

Heh. Sounds carburated.:lol:

poorwboy
01-09-2019, 08:07 PM

Sounds like it could be the cam timing.

phillysrt4
01-10-2019, 12:08 AM
Heh. Sounds carburated.:lol:

heh... For a split second I was kind of hoping I had a choke on it :)

el_jefe
01-10-2019, 09:29 AM
heh... For a split second I was kind of hoping I had a choke on it :)

be careful, some of the kids in here will think you are strangling somebody. . . :rofl:

shawnturbo
01-11-2019, 11:16 PM

Yes, but Crane has a whole line of SRT specific cam's designed just for the 2.4 turbo's if ya dont want to get into headwork ya can go as big as the #14 grinds witch are supposed to be the best for us anyway (good for stock turbo as well as an upgrade). The "NEON GOD" Darryl Cox had the #14's in his drag car up until the end of this last race season runnin' like low 8 sec. passes. My buddy went up to his shop last week and asked him bout' cams for me and got the same answer the guy at crane gave--the #14's.:thumb:

cooper232
03-08-2019, 10:22 PM
ok i was just wondering, since we are on the topic of cams, if someone can explain a few things to me. first i see that some people use the 2.0L cams in our cars but what exactly do you gain out of this? and also when you talk about dialing in or tuning the cam gears... what does what? how does advancing or retarding the timing affect things? i am not a total idiot as some of these guys on these forums are but just dont know a whole lot about cams. i never messed with pushrod motors :lol:

el_jefe
03-09-2019, 12:03 AM
Good thing these aren't pushrod engines, huh. The 2.0 cams have more lift than our stock cams do, that means the valves open more, allowing more air/fuel in, and more exhaust out. By advancing and retarding you change when the cams open and close. Where you set it depends on your setup, and how you want the power to hit. The problem is, the PCM can tell that you have cams, and adjust for them. That's why we don't get the numbers out of them we should. Thats also why everyone wants the AEM EMS, it will make cams the goodness they should be.

OLDGUY
06-27-2019, 04:09 AM
I hope this might help the lift is how far the valve opens
the duration is out of 360 deg how long it stays open
overlap is probly your problem try to start the cam straight up no adv. or retard. because when you overlap both valves are open at the same time .....your intake is going out your exaust..this is good at high rpm but not low rpm..at high rpm"the only thing aftermarket cams are good for" that over lap sucks in more intake charge by leaving the exaust open to let the charge out because air can only travel so fast. i know this might be wierd but the cam is like the heart of an engine ,the engine works on velocity at low rpm ie it likes long thin runners to build pressure,at high rpm it works on volume short fat runners...if any of this is out of porportion your car will lose a lot of hp.. sugestion get your intake manifold ported a big throttle body flow the heads say good bye to street ability and stay in the 3500-7800 rpm range where you will probly only be able to pick up 30hp max and lose the same down low ...the moral you cant have your cake and eat it too....remember this is a dodge sport compact not a drag car the transformation route you are taking requires tens of thousands of dollars to do rite some of those cams are huge and can flow a ton of air

phillysrt4
06-29-2019, 10:13 AM
lock thread plz

el_jefe
06-29-2019, 01:19 PM
lock thread plz

No. :rofl:

slow4dr
06-29-2019, 01:19 PM

phillysrt4
06-29-2019, 01:25 PM
its a dead thread. No need to have people resurrecting things from the dea.

darkskittle05
02-20-2019, 07:32 PM
Am I the only who thinks those cams aren't for the SRT4? All the descriptions are N/A based.

"header w/low restriction exhaust, ported intake w/low restriction air intake system"

"High compression pistons, race header w/equal length long primary tubes"

"Use low restriction intake exhaust. Good power on or off bottle"

"Use low restriction intake/exhaust and aftermarket ECM for max performance. Works well with stock engine/compression"

"Strong upper mid to top end with turbo"

idnno i like my cams and havent had a problem at all with them , but i dont have timing gears so i cant mess with em

slow4dr
02-20-2019, 09:53 PM

|