View Full Version : Help car idling high...

Daryl
01-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Alright this morning while driving to work I notice my car was idling higher than usual....the rpm's are not coming down slow....for example...it'll stick at 2k for a few seconds and the car sounds like it's loading up then it'll fall just a little above 1k, it's obvious too...so me being dumb I decided to give it a little gas in third so I heard a noise, like a huge suction noise! I think it's a boost leak but it's very strange..sounds like a screach ( like when you put a grocery bag to your lips and blow to make that horrible noise ) Anyone have this problem before?

MSMoores
01-10-2019, 10:56 AM
My father's '03 was doing this, turned out to be a shorted TPS sensor. The suction noise makes me think that your PCV line might be leaking though. Something to think about. :thumb:

Daryl
01-10-2019, 10:58 AM
urghh....i'll check it during my break :(

SilverSRT4bang
01-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Mine is doing the same thing. I checked it last night and seen that my DC strut tower bar actually melted a hole in my plug wires:ftard: Ive had a missfire for a little bit now, Im 100% positive that I need my TPS replaced.

Daryl
01-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Mine is doing the same thing. I checked it last night and seen that my DC strut tower bar actually melted a hole in my plug wires:ftard: Ive had a missfire for a little bit now, Im 100% positive that I need my TPS replaced.
Whoa this pisses me off! Car ran fine last night....urghhh! Thanks guys i'll definately check this out

el_jefe
01-10-2019, 11:08 AM
If it is idling high, it's actually a vacuum leak, not a boost leak. But I would check the TPS first, then PVC line, then your IAC.

MSMoores
01-10-2019, 12:30 PM
I subscribed to your post on the lame forum, I want to see what kind of wild speculations the peanut gallery can make about what could be wrong with your car.

Personally, I think it's Bush. He don't give a damn about no SRT-4s!

slow4dr
01-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Boost leak, check it.

drizze99
01-10-2019, 12:51 PM
No CEL's?

I would check the TPS first. There are known issues with it.

slow4dr
01-10-2019, 12:55 PM
No CEL's?

I would check the TPS first. There are known issues with it.

A TPS won't give a whistle. The driveability symptoms definitely sound like TPS though.

drizze99
01-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Could the suction noise be the brake booster line?

el_jefe
01-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Boost leak, check it.

If it's a boost leak at idle, he has more than one problem. :rofl:

slow4dr
01-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Could the suction noise be the brake booster line?

Yes, but he would have a very stiff brake pedal.

slow4dr
01-10-2019, 01:00 PM
If it's a boost leak at idle, he has more than one problem. :rofl:

HAHA, I thought that's what you were trying to say.

Daryl
01-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Whoa.....just keep tacking on problems! lol

HoTSauZe
01-10-2019, 01:40 PM
Yes, but he would have a very stiff brake pedal.
Whoa you said STIFF:rofl:

slow4dr
01-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Whoa you said STIFF:rofl:

:yasum: And I was thinking of Daryl when I said it.

geekmonster
01-10-2019, 02:07 PM
sounds like the idling prob is the tps. when you take the car in, see if they can run longer wires to the tps cause the wires had a tendancy to ge pulled whenever the motor moves during reving (stock motor mounts let the engine move back and forth quite a bit) and can cause a loose wire. i had mine replace with longer wires and problem gone.

i don't know if yours does it, but mine when i would let off the gas, itwould either hold at whatever rpm i was driving at or go higher. kinda scary when you are coming to a stop sign and the car wouldn't slow down by simply letting off the gas. the techs said the sensor was bad and the wires were being tugged on, so thank god for warranty work.

as far as the leak, try and give as much description as possible and narrow it down to the area it is coming from so we can help you better.

good luck,
chris

Daryl
01-10-2019, 03:02 PM
:yasum: And I was thinking of Daryl when I said it.
:gayflag:

And for geekmonster that is the exact problem that I am having.....yeah it's scary when the car doesn't slow down :D Owell's....i'll get this fixed thanks again for everyone's assistance

Daryl
01-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the help people.....Turbo Mike found my leak....my catch can we have the line running behind the manifold to the TB and it looked like the heat stretched my zip ties and some of the line had been snagged on a belt....so it only cost $1.07 to fix it :D WOOO WOO!

|