View Full Version : Question about problem on girlfriends car.

neonsohc
01-16-2019, 09:33 PM
my girlfriend has a 94 cavalier and she just noticed a problem with it. when she starts the car the car kind of stumbles a little. like its not running the way it should, almost about to stall. its worse when the heater is on. it also gets a little worse when she puts it in reverse.

but once she gets it in drive and drives like maybe 30 feet the car will go back to normal. now i checked oil and that was fine then i checked coolant and noticed that was low so i added coolant to that and i tested out the car and it still happened a little. but this time i let the car sit for a minute to warm up and all was fine as soon as the fan kicked on.

any ideas? i checked all connections by throttlebody and my only thought was iac valve but that was replaced about 4 months ago.

drizze99
01-16-2019, 09:37 PM
Does it sound like it's being starved of fuel?

How many miles on the car?
What engine is in it?

neonsohc
01-16-2019, 09:38 PM
yea it sounds like it is running out of fuel but then after it goes a little it runs fine.

its also got about 130,000 miles on it and has the 4 cylinder. i added some fuel injector cleaner in it after we went to walmart and well see if that maybe helps but not so far.

jhempstead
01-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Check the spark plugs?

drizze99
01-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Does that car have a fuel filter?
Did you check the plugs?
Did you check the plug wires/boots?
Does it have a coilpack?

neonsohc
01-17-2019, 07:21 AM
Does that car have a fuel filter?
Did you check the plugs?
Did you check the plug wires/boots?
Does it have a coilpack?

im not sure if it has a fule filter or not. ive been trying to find information on the internet for the car but to no luck.

the plugs seem ok they were replaced a couple months ago. and the wires are ok.

Broken5hift
01-17-2019, 07:29 AM
alternator

neonsohc
01-17-2019, 07:39 AM
alternator

ok but wouldnt the problem continue with the car not just when she starts it up after it sits for a little bit? like is said. it goes away once she puts it in drive and goes about maybe 50 feet or if the car sits and warms up for about a minute.

drizze99
01-17-2019, 08:33 AM
What engine is in the car?

neonsohc
01-17-2019, 08:35 AM
What engine is in the car?

i believe its the 2.2l. i think thats the only 4 cylinder they had in those cars.

drizze99
01-17-2019, 09:17 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=505400

neonsohc
01-17-2019, 09:20 AM
ok ill have to maybe check the gap of the plugs then. but on another note i told my girlfriend to call me if it happened this morning and she never did so it must be ok now. but ill find out at lunch.

Broken5hift
01-17-2019, 09:21 AM
ok but wouldnt the problem continue with the car not just when she starts it up after it sits for a little bit? like is said. it goes away once she puts it in drive and goes about maybe 50 feet or if the car sits and warms up for about a minute.

when you start a car the alternator starts it. when you drive the engine helps drive the alternator, when you put on heat or air it makes the alternator work harder, so if it was bad it would be affected by the heat and such.

neonsohc
01-17-2019, 09:22 AM
when you start a car the alternator starts it. when you drive the engine helps drive the alternator, when you put on heat or air it makes the alternator work harder, so if it was bad it would be affected by the heat and such.

hmmm. maybe ill have to get her to take it to auotzone to get tested.

neonsohc
01-17-2019, 01:14 PM
ok well according to her, this morning the car was fine. then she came home for lunch and when she left about 10 minutes ago the car started acting up again.

Broken5hift
01-17-2019, 01:22 PM
take it to autozone already

nitelife
01-17-2019, 10:51 PM

i believe you have your words mixed up a little. the battery spins the starter. After the car is started the alternator takes over. The car wouldnt start back up if the alternator was bad because the battery would be dead after a few min. They should have a fuel filter and the way gas is now days, if the thing has never been changed in 130,000 miles then its way over due. they also have big problems with the fuel injectors getting clogged. the stuff the dealer uses to clean the injectors is way better then what you put in your gas tank. they actually run the car off of a fuel injector cleaner that is not mixed with fuel. does the car break up at all under a load (like when going up hills or power braking it (and no not a burn out)).

zooey
01-18-2019, 12:03 AM
If the iac valve was made by Standard...you may as well go ahead and purcase a good one now.

neonsohc
01-18-2019, 06:19 AM
i believe you have your words mixed up a little. the battery spins the starter. After the car is started the alternator takes over. The car wouldnt start back up if the alternator was bad because the battery would be dead after a few min. They should have a fuel filter and the way gas is now days, if the thing has never been changed in 130,000 miles then its way over due. they also have big problems with the fuel injectors getting clogged. the stuff the dealer uses to clean the injectors is way better then what you put in your gas tank. they actually run the car off of a fuel injector cleaner that is not mixed with fuel. does the car break up at all under a load (like when going up hills or power braking it (and no not a burn out)).

no nothing happens when its under a load. it does this at startup and as soon as you put it in drive and drive a little bit or just let it sit and warm up a little the car runs fine. there isnt ever a point where it does again while the car is on.

nitelife
01-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Any check engine lights?

JESSICA SIMPSON ON A DODGE SHAKING HER ASS!:yikes: :hit: thats awesome zooey.

Broken5hift
01-18-2019, 02:10 PM

yes thanks, doing too many things at once.

poorwboy
01-18-2019, 02:53 PM
No actually Im sure the alternater is internally regulated. So when you start it up the alternater is not charging yet. Once you rev it up and drive the alternater starts charging. You said when you turn the heater on its worse, so heater on is pulling more volts from the battery.:thumb: Internal regulater on alt. could be going out.

nitelife
01-18-2019, 11:08 PM
No actually Im sure the alternater is internally regulated. So when you start it up the alternater is not charging yet. Once you rev it up and drive the alternater starts charging. You said when you turn the heater on its worse, so heater on is pulling more volts from the battery.:thumb: Internal regulater on alt. could be going out.

not to be a jerk but, how do you explain when you jump start your car with a dead battery, how does it run at an idle.:jester: you should be able to start your car and then unhook your battery and your car should run just fine.

neonsohc
01-19-2019, 06:05 AM
well aparently whatever was wrong with the car is now gone. there was no issue witht he car yesterday according to my girlfriend and then i went out and checked it and everything was fine. it must have either been the injectors were maybe dirty or the fact that she put in different gas for the first time in a year could have caused it. but either way the car is back to normal. for now at least.

Smokin Murano
01-20-2019, 06:16 PM
just buy her a hennessy viper and call it a day. damn it, she is worth it!!

poorwboy
01-20-2019, 06:32 PM
not to be a jerk but, how do you explain when you jump start your car with a dead battery, how does it run at an idle.:jester: you should be able to start your car and then unhook your battery and your car should run just fine.
Not all cars are like what i explained. But there is some cars that when you start it and idle the alternater wont start charging till you rev it up. Just some of my expeirences anyway.

|