View Full Version : No more GTO?

gudeman00
02-07-2017, 08:59 PM
"According to a new report by Motor Trend, GM has scrapped any plans for building a new Pontiac GTO as a follow-up to the current model. Recently, there has been some speculation that GM might replace the much-criticized GTO with a new model based on the same platform as the forthcoming Chevrolet Camaro. While GM is considering a rear-wheel-drive offensive, it appears the GTO will not be part of that plan. Other possible nameplate revivals that could use a new RWD architecture include the Buick Velite and Chevy Impala. Recently, we cited a report suggesting the company might use the Camaro platform for a new Firebird or Trans AM. (Show right is the 1999 GTO concept. If GM builds another GTO, it's widely expected to use a more agressive design like that of this GTO concept)."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-images/media/feb7gto.jpg

PolarBear
02-07-2017, 10:28 PM
is kinda sad to see such a respected car failing because they based it off that pos holden to begin with.

Buckonine
02-07-2017, 10:39 PM
*slow golf clapping*

Way to go Chevy, nothing like distroying another golden oldly name plate.

What is it up too now?
Malibu
Camaro
Impala

What other crap have they tried to pawn off and failed?

paintbaler1587
02-08-2017, 01:58 AM
I hope this doesnt increase the price of current GTOs

gudeman00
02-22-2017, 04:57 PM
In recent weeks, we've written about GM's planned rear-wheel-drive offensive — a plan aimed at competing with the growing number of RWD offerings from other American and Asian automakers. The primary target is, of course, the Chrysler 300C and its siblings, the Dodge Magnum, Charger, Challenger, and Chrysler Imperial. Today, columnist Jim Mateja, writing for the Chicago Tribune, speculates that a new Pontiac GTO may be a part of GM's strategy, despite yesterday's announcement that the company would discontinue the current model. Recently, Motor Trend said there would not be another GTO, but Mateja is more optimistic. Other recent rumors have suggested GM's RWD platform will be used for a new Firebird and Trans AM, as suggested by AutoSpies and AutoExtremist. Edmunds has also speculated that a new Impala will target the 300C directly in 2009. In the end, it's not too clear what will happen, but we can't wait to see!

leftlanenews

SassySRT
02-22-2017, 04:59 PM
Well so much for my next car being a GTO.

gudeman00
02-22-2017, 05:01 PM
Well so much for my next car being a GTO.

read the above post again

SassySRT
02-22-2017, 05:02 PM
read the above post again

Ok so I have selective reading.

13SecPTCruiser
02-22-2017, 05:28 PM
GTO's sold very well. the holden counterpart has a strong following in australia.
try looking up the top gear episode with the holden. you'll see.

but i am glad to see them stop making them, as there are already too man 'wanna be vette' owners

MSMoores
02-22-2017, 06:07 PM
but i am glad to see them stop making them, as there are already too man 'wanna be vette' owners

Does driving a PT make someone a "wanna be ice-cream truck" owner?
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1354/1000609118ta.jpg

13SecPTCruiser
02-22-2017, 06:31 PM
yes, but we are talking about the gtos right now

gudeman00
03-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Reports of the GTO's death are greatly exaggerated! According to GM Vice President Bob Lutz, the Pontiac GTO will return in 2017, alongside the 2017/2009 Chevrolet Camaro. Lutz told AutoWeek at the Geneva Motor Show today that the GTO will share the Zeta architecture with the new Chevrolet Camaro and Holden Monaro. Like the last ill-fated GTO, the 2009 GTO will be engineered jointly by GM in North America and Holden in Australia. Lutz said the new GTO project was only on hold for two months, but has since been revived. Lutz also said the rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform will be used for a new Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, and an all new Buck model called the "Statesman." Lutz said a new El Camino could come by 'putting a Chevrolet face' on a Holden Ute, but that's unlikely at this time. The GTO and related programs, however, are back on "full tilt." (The image shown at the right is the 1999 GTO Concept).

|