View Full Version : WATER/METH INJECTION ?

OLDGUY
05-12-2019, 01:35 AM
I AM PLANING TO do a water/methonol injection mod my question is will this affect the a/f reading on an o2 sensor,
i have heard good things about these. do they have any adverse effects on a stock engine internals???

blackbird
05-12-2019, 10:55 AM
If you run just water it will help remove heat and slightly alter the combustion process, but won't directly affect A/F. That's not to say if it cools down the charge temps which then become more dense it might not lean out a little. If you run some type of alcohol like methanol it may alter it a little more since you're essentially injecting a fuel. Off the top of my head methanol's stoichiometric A/F ratio (optimal burn) is around high 6:1 compared to gasoline which is 14.7:1, so if your wideband is setup to compute A/F from the Lambda/stoich point of gas it might be also throw the scale off of the overall stoich point.

But unless you're running 200 psi of pressure and a fire hose nozzle to inject 100 hp of fuel in the form of meth, I wouldn't worry too much. Try to keep A/F's in the ballpark of normal gasoline ranges and you may be able to run it a leaner with reasonable safety, but I might monitor timing and knock retard. Doing that you should be able to judge you maximum point you can push it to and then dial it back a little more for day to day safety margin.

wannasupra
05-14-2019, 08:44 PM
what size are the threads on the W/I nozzle?

spools
05-23-2019, 09:52 AM
Does someone maybe have a do it yourself on building a water injection kit???

Alec Trevelyan
05-23-2019, 02:32 PM
Does someone maybe have a do it yourself on building a water injection kit???

Not that i know of or have seen. You might be better off getting a ready made kit from a good company.

spools
05-23-2019, 02:57 PM
yea, im a cheap ass though hehe, actually, i just like to try and fab my own stuff, but i think your right in this case, i may be better off...

punkrokdood
05-23-2019, 03:14 PM
its most likely cheaper to get a kit than it is to try and piece one together, plus it is a LOT easier, and you'll get tech support

blackbird
05-24-2019, 01:59 AM
If you want a progressive controller, which I'd recommend, you'll need to buy that from one of the W/I companies. Other than that they mostly use a re-labled Shurflo pump with similar lines and nozzles. You could buy the pump yourself, piece together the lines, nozzle, tank, and miscellaneous hardware, and then use a Hobbs pressure switch to turn it on, but I'd price out what you get in a pre-made kit and compare. It might end up being about the same, and you can get other features easier like tank sensors, flow sensors, etc.

DJ2
05-24-2019, 02:05 AM
Devils Own is doing great for me and the prices are VERY reasonable for a progressive controlled system. www.devilsownonline.com

DJ2
05-24-2019, 02:06 AM
Hey Eric, I have some questions for you about DSM BOV and 2.0 cams, send me a pm if you get some time for me to rack your brain :thumb:

blackbird
05-24-2019, 03:31 AM
I'm not going to be online much for a little while since I'm in the process of moving out of country. If you want to drop me a message with your question or start a new thread I'll try to answer when I can. Not sure what you want to know, but a 1st gen DSM BOV can be used on the SRT-4 if you place a pipe with it somewhere between the turbo and throttle body. Off the top of my head if you crush the can it will hold around 20-ish pounds of boost. Maybe slow4dr can chime in since he's owned an almost-DSM.

As for the 2.0L cams, all the DOHC 2.0L's are the same if you're looking for them. I'd probably get some adjustable cam gears if you wanted to try them. They do have more lift and the profile isn't bad, but I think duration and a couple other specs when used straight-up (no adj. gears) isn't the best. I've seen them on a car pushing over 500 whp and spinning pretty high, but that doesn't make them the best choice. The hybrid 2.4L/2.0L setup looks interesting if you're looking into it. The bad thing about cams is there's a lot of variables and they're not easy to test a bunch of different configuration since you have to time the engine, which makes finding testing where there was only a cam change pretty rare.

|