View Full Version : Guess what I bought yesterday

gudeman00
05-25-2019, 04:10 PM
A DTEC, and gameboy. Came with a knock light, as well.

Sure, I don't need it, but it was $230 shipped for all of that so I figured I shouldn't pass it up.

Now, can I install it on my stock turbo w/ mbc and just use a base map with it? or should I just leave it uninstalled until I get some more mods?

punkrokdood
05-25-2019, 04:12 PM
you could tune with it now, but you'll see better gains if you add s2 injectors, or a return line. that way you'll have enough fuel to run 20 PSI, and still pull back

then add an IC, or water inj, and you should hit 300 hp or very close

dres
05-25-2019, 04:13 PM
booooooooo i wanted to guess.

gudeman00
05-25-2019, 04:14 PM
you could tune with it now, but you'll see better gains if you add s2 injectors, or a return line. that way you'll have enough fuel to run 20 PSI, and still pull back

then add an IC, or water inj, and you should hit 300 hp or very close

Well I still haven't had time to make an appointment to get my exhaust, and then I'll put a wideband in as well.

Then after that I could up my boost to 20 with the stock turbo and have dtec in? And which is easier for tuing, s2 injectors or return line. Or which is cheaper :thumb:

gudeman00
05-25-2019, 04:14 PM
booooooooo i wanted to guess.

You already knew the answer

punkrokdood
05-25-2019, 04:19 PM
s2 injectors are a LITTLE cheaper new, but return line is better as far as you'll always need it, and if you ever go bigger, it will still be used.

you basically set the idle pressure on the return line, then turn up the boost, then pull fuel with the dtec to get a good curve, and advance the timing a little

that should net you 300 hp or so on good gas :thumb:

also, the PTP fuel pressure mod is good if you don't wanna go big turbo, and is a cheaper solution than either the return line or the injectors, but will still provide enough fuel

gudeman00
05-25-2019, 04:21 PM
Yeah but I don't want to use that mod because its just a constant rate of fuel going through so wouldn't my mileage go way down?

I don't really plan on ever going big turbo, either. And with tuning all of this, I might just pay someone to do it.. maybe take it to aaron or das. I don't know anything about it and doubt that I can read up enough on it to feel safe messing with it.

I have a mapclamp too, uninstalled, not sure if I'll put it in or not.

punkrokdood
05-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Yeah but I don't want to use that mod because its just a constant rate of fuel going through so wouldn't my mileage go way down?

I don't really plan on ever going big turbo, either. And with tuning all of this, I might just pay someone to do it.. maybe take it to aaron or das. I don't know anything about it and doubt that I can read up enough on it to feel safe messing with it.

d-tec IS a map clamp... its just adjustable by rpm, instead of jsut one setting

they work the same way, jsut that the d-tec/safc/emanage etc can vary how much it "clamps."

your mileage shouldn't really go down with the pressure mod. the computer can compensate for vacuum conditions, and will pull fuel to try and maintain a 14.7 a/f ratio. under boost your mileage will go down, but it will go down when you add fuel to turn up the boost, no matter how you do it.

gudeman00
05-25-2019, 04:28 PM
d-tec IS a map clamp... its just adjustable by rpm, instead of jsut one setting

they work the same way, jsut that the d-tec/safc/emanage etc can vary how much it "clamps."

your mileage shouldn't really go down with the pressure mod. the computer can compensate for vacuum conditions, and will pull fuel to try and maintain a 14.7 a/f ratio. under boost your mileage will go down, but it will go down when you add fuel to turn up the boost, no matter how you do it.

I was goign to ask if dtec is a map clamp. And its pretty obvious mileage will go down when i add fuel to turn up the boost lol. I was just wondering if it would be beneficial at all to install it now since I'm basically stock. And I don't know how hard it is to tune with this thing but since i'm a noob with it I don't want to blow my engine.

punkrokdood
05-25-2019, 04:33 PM
if you stay out of boost, your mileage should stay about the same, even if you run 75 or 80 psi. if you're mostly stock, you can gain a few HP with the d-tec and a tune, but you'll gain the most if you can turn up the boost too. cheapest way to do that from where you are now is to do the PTP mod, and that should give you enough fuel for 300hp, maybe a bit more

dres
05-25-2019, 04:33 PM
14.7 a/f??????? dasmopar says 12 with a mapclamp?

dres
05-25-2019, 04:35 PM
if you stay out of boost, your mileage should stay about the same, even if you run 75 or 80 psi. if you're mostly stock, you can gain a few HP with the d-tec and a tune, but you'll gain the most if you can turn up the boost too. cheapest way to do that from where you are now is to do the PTP mod, and that should give you enough fuel for 300hp, maybe a bit more

me=300 hp when i get water injection. w00t

punkrokdood
05-25-2019, 04:38 PM
14.7 a/f??????? dasmopar says 12 with a mapclamp?
14.7 at idle/ vaccuum

11.5-12.5 at WOT depending on how ballsy you are

gudeman00
05-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Guess I might as well hook it up right when I get it sometime next week then.

svt2srt4
05-25-2019, 05:51 PM
do it now!!!!

Alec Trevelyan
05-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Hook it up and start tunign for some nice gains!

wannasupra
05-26-2019, 01:01 PM
vschaos was running a ptp fpr for 3 months, got it pressure tested, his static was 155 psi. some o ring slipped when he installed it or something. anyway, his mileage stayed the same. the computer actually pulled enough fuel out to compensate. ran like ass at idle, but hey with 1822cc's (x4) worth of fuel, you would too.

Tom Joad
05-26-2019, 01:21 PM

According to PTP you might actually see improved mileage due to better atomization of fuel from the higher pressure. Once your computer adjusts you won't get any more fuel, you'll get the same fuel at a higher pressure (better atomization). Not saying it's true, just playing the messenger. :lol: If you don't plan on getting a bigger turbo then his 80PSI mod should give you more fuel then you'll ever need for about 70 bucks.

I saw modest gains from my E-manage (when it was working :ftard:) on the dyno without having any other fuel mods.

gudeman00
05-27-2019, 09:20 AM
Guess I'll need to think about that then, once I get more mods and need it. I'll most likely put it in right when I get it, so in a week.

|