View Full Version : Best looking American...

blackbird
07-07-2017, 01:08 PM
...sedans. What's some of the opinions out there for the best looking domestic four door's. To narrow it down let's say in the last 20 years or so (and remember this is about appearance/style).

The reason I'm asking is I made it 6 weeks in Germany without buying a car, but temptation got the best of me and I bought one today that's been on my favorites list since it came out. I'll post up some pictures later. :thumb:

punkrokdood
07-07-2017, 01:34 PM
almost any cadillac
ford fairmount cuz that's the car i learned to drive with :ftard:
obvioulsy the srt-4 :lol:
charger
newer impalas
mercury marauder
can't really think of many 4-doors that i like :dunno:

StevesSTi
07-07-2017, 02:12 PM
I liked my SVT Contour.
And SRT-4

dres
07-07-2017, 02:14 PM
300c is sexy imo

n3m3515SRT4
07-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Anything that as the letters S-R-T and the numbers 4 or 8.

blackbird
07-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Remember the looks/appearance and from the last couple decades. I do like my SRT-4 a lot but I definitely didn't buy it because it was the best looking domestic sedan out there. The powertrain could have been in a minivan and I'd have bought one. :lol: But I have seen a few cars mentioned that aren't too bad. :thumb:

r.j-lo
07-07-2017, 07:21 PM
mercury marauder

you sir, are on CRACK :lol:
nah, seriously, my grandma really likes hers now that she retired from the police department.

I would have to say...............

um............

give me a minute here

Thirteens420k
07-07-2017, 08:31 PM
...sedans. What's some of the opinions out there for the best looking domestic four door's. To narrow it down let's say in the last 20 years or so (and remember this is about appearance/style).

The reason I'm asking is I made it 6 weeks in Germany without buying a car, but temptation got the best of me and I bought one today that's been on my favorites list since it came out. I'll post up some pictures later. :thumb:
American 4-doors haven't been very pretty over the years and also havent been very many. Every car that has been said already, i agree with. Except the new impalas. I think impalas should have died in the 60's but GM wanted to ruin that name. I think the newer Mercury Marauders look really nice though and have a nice amount of power. The SVT contours are actually pretty nice, even though i kinda severely dislike ford. Dodge seams to be the company spanking this market though since way back.

neonracer88
07-08-2017, 01:00 AM
Ford Falcon 2002. I just don't know what it is but I love it. Ford is a american company even though it is sold in Australia. Does that still count. Love the V8 Supercars.

el_jefe
07-08-2017, 03:23 AM
The caddy sedans, are clean
Caprice based Impala SS
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

blackbird
07-08-2017, 08:33 AM
American 4-doors haven't been very pretty over the years and also havent been very many.
That's one of the reasons why I started this. Compared to some of the imports, there have been a lot of American cars made in the recent past and while quite a few look ok, not many grab your attention. I can think of quite a few more domestic coupes in the same time period but for the most part it seems the US sedan offerings have been at best basic transportation that doesn't look too bad. But that's not enough in todays market to set them apart and seems to be one of the reasons the newer Chrylser and Dodge lineups are doing good. Not all of them look great, but at least they're different.

BTW, the model I bought isn't in production anymore. I'll take a few pics today and get them post later tonight in a few hours.

el_jefe
07-08-2017, 11:37 AM
BTW, the model I bought isn't in production anymore. I'll take a few pics today and get them post later tonight in a few hours.

So that means you didn't buy a 5 series diesel (my choice for practical Euro transportation). You could have gotten a Mercedes, but since you are talking about looks, I would guess an afla, or maybe a peougot/citroen.

blackbird
07-08-2017, 07:37 PM
American sedan. :sneaky: Something for a good price, nice fuel economy, reliable and I know how to work on it if (when) something does break, and it just so happens to be one of my favorite 4-doors. I got a chance to take some pictures tonight and I'll get them uploaded shortly. It is past two in the morning, so I might wait until morning. Later morning, as in "the sun is out" morning. :lol:

blackbird
07-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Alright, I'm resizing some pictures right now so I'll go ahead and post a list of my favorite American sedans in regards to style and appearance from the last couple decades. One of which I bought.

Caddy Seville STS ('92-97 primarily and also the '98-04's)
Olds Aurora (first gen)
Olds Intrigue

Close behind would be the '92-95 Taurus SHO, '97-93 Grand Prix GTP and new GXP, '92+ Bonneville SSEi and the last GXP version, '97+ Regal GS, SVT Contour, '97-99 Lumina LTZ and new '06+ Impala SS, second gen Aurora, and a couple others mentioned here aren't too bad. In the secondary list a lot of them also happen to be performance variants. Especially is the case with many GM's, while they do look pretty good, the base models are usually hit with the ugly stick. So it's either a nice looking, performing, and/or luxury version that's more expensive or a much less appealing base model.

blackbird
07-11-2017, 12:30 PM
http://www.srtcentral.com/webfiles/misc/automotive/Intrigue/Intrigue_driver_frt_low.JPG

http://www.srtcentral.com/webfiles/misc/automotive/Intrigue/Intrigue_front_low.JPG

http://www.srtcentral.com/webfiles/misc/automotive/Intrigue/Intrigue_rear34_driveway.JPG

http://www.srtcentral.com/webfiles/misc/automotive/Intrigue/Intrigue_front_high.JPG

http://www.srtcentral.com/webfiles/misc/automotive/Intrigue/Intrigue_rear_high.JPG

http://www.srtcentral.com/webfiles/misc/automotive/Intrigue/Intrigue_int_dash_above.JPG

http://www.srtcentral.com/webfiles/misc/automotive/Intrigue/Intrigue_driver_dash_low.JPG

It really needs cleaned up and has been used as a family car for years with little kids. Not my favorite interior color (prefer the black/grey), not my favorite exterior color (the black, dark cherry metallic, or silver) and the '00+ wheels have grown on me. But looking back at the contemporaries at the time I think it's about as close as the domestics got to the imports as an overall package along with simple clean looks including the Coke bottle shape, grill-less front end, and nice lower door/rocker panel.

And they all looked the same from a base to higher trim, came with a firm suspension standard while retaining a nice ride, strong brakes with firm, linear pedal, nicely weighted steering with a special column design, and nicely laid out interior that could have used a little better quality materials but isn't bad at the time (particularly for GM).

For an overall product lineup I think Olds had the strongest line and range but weren't selling well up until right before the end. I'd have much rather seen Buick or maybe even Pontiac go instead. The first gen Aurora was somewhat revolutionary for the time and the Intrigue kept much of the styling cues of the Antares concept car. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures I kept of the various OSV show cars.

BTW this is my third Olds (and I'm not even 30 yet :lol: ).

Buckonine
07-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Not what I was expecting...I don't really know what I was expecting to be honest, but it wasn't this. But hey, as long as it is clean and runs good, who am I to judge?

gudeman00
07-11-2017, 08:22 PM
It looks great for a daily driver, don't have to worry about shifting all the time, and it looks comfortable, that's what you need.

blackbird
07-12-2017, 09:43 AM
If you're looking for flashy American cars you can find quite a few, (but trying to put this into words the best I can) the three cars I listed are ones that I think stood out from others when introduced and will age more gracefully than most. It's hard to find a nice, clean looking sedan that doesn't come from overseas. Especially ones that also come with great powertrains, suspension tuning and handling, and a nice interior as a bonus.

This particular one is not what I'd go out looking for but is good enough for what I need and isn't too bad. A dark color Intrigue doesn't look as good in pictures as person where you can see the sculpting of the body better. I'll see if I can dig up some other GM media pics. It is a little big (i.e. massive) car compared to a lot of the smaller European cars but hasn't caused any problems. And it does cruise nicely on the autobahn. :thumb:

|