View Full Version : Somebody sell me on a pyrometer...

Tom Joad
07-20-2019, 11:33 AM
I'm planning to get some gauges done (oil + fuel pressure) and debating whether or not I really want a pyrometer to measure EGTs. If my A/F looks good, what's the risk in not knowing my EGTs, and what might cause them to be out of line?

slow4dr
07-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Timing has a big influence on EGT's. I have had one for about 2 years now and I love it. If you have a wideband I wouldn't worry about getting one unless you are on the stock turbo. <-----That bish runs way to hot.

If you are under PCM timing control I wouldn't worry about getting one either.

Tom Joad
07-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I'm still trying to correct that stock turbo problem. Guess I'll just stay conservative on the tune till I get it fixed. :lol:

So you think I'll be ok with a better turbo?

slow4dr
07-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I'm still trying to correct that stock turbo problem. Guess I'll just stay conservative on the tune till I get it fixed. :lol:

So you think I'll be ok with a better turbo?

No, I think with a bigger turbo that the EGT's will not be a concern as long as the A/F ratios are safe. The stock computer loves giving timing so that will help keep the EGT's low as well.

blackbird
07-20-2019, 12:28 PM
So you already have one of the newer timing gauges that can display knock retard in degrees? If not that should be your next purchase. When you have that and a wideband you should be able to tune most cars and be pretty safe, but I'll agree that the EGT is more important for a stock turbo. I'd preferably still be running all three of those along with a scan tool (or use it in place of the timing /knock gauge), fuel pressure, and data logging all the other factory sensors with any turbo.

Tom Joad
07-20-2019, 01:33 PM
So you already have one of the newer timing gauges that can display knock retard in degrees? If not that should be your next purchase. When you have that and a wideband you should be able to tune most cars and be pretty safe, but I'll agree that the EGT is more important for a stock turbo. I'd preferably still be running all three of those along with a scan tool (or use it in place of the timing /knock gauge), fuel pressure, and data logging all the other factory sensors with any turbo.

Cool. Where can I pick up one of those?

blackbird
07-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Check out the other forum. I think there's like three on the market, but only two of them give a reading of knock retard in degrees (which you can't even display on most low end OBD-II generic scan tools) and the other one gives some knock value in volts or something near worthless. And if you get one that can display other OBD-II data like fuel trims, intake air temp, etc. it's an even better value.

SilverSRT4bang
07-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Cool. Where can I pick up one of those?
http://www.race-tech-designs.com/store/home.php?cat=254

I heard that these were pretty good gauges. I might be getting these soon. Cheap too!

Tom Joad
07-20-2019, 04:29 PM
http://www.race-tech-designs.com/store/home.php?cat=254

I heard that these were pretty good gauges. I might be getting these soon. Cheap too!

LMFAO! I was about to post the exact same link. I think I'll be buying one in the next week sometime. Impressions will be posted when it's installed and working. :thumb:

http://www.race-tech-designs.com/store/product.php?productid=16165&cat=254&page=1

lunchbox660
07-20-2019, 05:25 PM
by pyrometer are you talking about the EGT sensor, or the handheld type of pyrometer? if you are talking about the handheld type, then YES i definitely recommend buying one. beleive it or not, you can diagnose damn near ANY car and ANY problem with a multi-meter and a pyrometer. if you know how to use them they are a very powerful combination of tools when you know what you are looking for.

for example, one day out of the clear blue sky my srt started running like SHIT. me and several people were pretty boggled as to why. we ran a pyrometer on the exhasut runners and found one of the cylinders was VERY cool compared to the others. turns out i had a fried spark plug wire on that cylinder, but you could NOT tell by looking at it cus it LOOKED brand new. without the pyrometer, we wouldve spent alot of time repalcing individual parts before finding the true solution. and the best part about it was we never even got dirty or sweaty in the process.

ptperformance
10-13-2019, 06:14 PM
EGT sensor is a real good item to get when you have cam gears. A little bump in cam timing will really make your EGT's freak out. Other then that not really needed unless you are running more then 21 PSI on any turbo.

AJ Quick
10-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Here are some Pyro gauges.. hope that helps some:

http://www.autovendors.net/search/?search=pyrometer

We need to get more companies to list their products. :(

ptperformance
10-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Just make sure it reads up to 2000 degrees and the auto meter units need a spacers to clear the bottom of the manifold and get the sendor into the proper air stream for its readings.

|