View Full Version : Drag City update

slow4dr
07-31-2019, 11:33 PM
Take it for what it's worth.

http://drag-city.com/update.htm

Drag strip near Banning airport on the right track
RACING: After the site is prepared, construction is set to begin on the $10 million project.
10:00 PM PDT on Thursday, July 27, 2019
By GAIL WESSON
The Press-Enterprise
BANNING - Earthmoving should start next month and drag racing is expected to debut next spring near Banning Municipal Airport, on the first quarter-miler track to be built in 40 years in Southern California.

Andy Marocco, president of Rialto-based All American Racing, and his father, Ron, have envisioned the drag strip since at least since 2000. Father and son, along with the new project developer, civic and chamber of commerce leaders, used gold-painted shovels Thursday to pitch dirt at the site at the east end of Barbour Street.

Drag City will need about a month of preparation at the 60-acre site before construction begins on the $10 million project, said Andy Marocco. He is talking to sponsors and promoters about scheduling professional racing events in the spring.

The strip will be open for public racing on weekends.

"Ninety-five percent of our racing consists of street-legal vehicles," he said.

The idea is to give people a safe, off-street place to race.

The development will have permanent restrooms, a snack bar, luxury suites and seating for 10,000 spectators.

City officials touted the potential economic benefits when racers and spectators stay in local hotels, buy gasoline and patronize other local businesses.

"All the racers will get the message from me to buy their stuff here," said Bob "Stormy" Byrd who brought his dragster, Revelation, to show off at the groundbreaking.

Last year, the Banning City Council approved an agreement with the drag strip partnership that will operate under the name Banning Airport Associates.

The Maroccos will run the drag strip and developer Thomas Searles, whose company is based in Newport Beach, will bring in a contractor and oversee development.

Searles said his experience is in office and industrial development. He met the Maroccos two years ago.

"When this started, I didn't know the difference between a dragster and a toaster," he told the crowd.

But Searles, whose first car was a 1973 Honda Civic, and Andy Marocco, whose first ride was a souped-up 1989 Mustang, were beaming about the prospects of the project Thursday.

"They always tell you that good things take time," said Banning Mayor John Machisic. But it took time and finding the investors to bring the project to fruition.

"They have perseverance, and overcame a lot of problems," Machisic said. "There were times when they hit a lot of bumpy spots in the road."

http://drag-city.com/DSC02348.jpg

http://drag-city.com/DSC01816.jpg

http://drag-city.com/DSC02333.jpg

el_jefe
07-31-2019, 11:38 PM
They have been talking about that track forever.

slow4dr
07-31-2019, 11:44 PM
They have been talking about that track forever.

They have also said the same thing in the updates since 2004. "Construction has begun" "Racing to begin in fall 200X" :ftard:

At this point I am ready to buy the Galant back and take it down there and run it in the dirt.

westup
08-01-2019, 12:55 AM
OFF ROAD USE ONLY

lunchbox660
08-01-2019, 02:24 AM
that track will never be finished....if they were gonna truly finish it, it woudve been done by now...

blackbird
08-01-2019, 04:45 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's good for a laugh. Too bad I don't drive by there on a daily basis anymore to see if any work is actually being done. So let me guess the likely scenario. The Marocco's are running out of disposable income, after all fuel for their "corporate jet" is getting pretty expensive. That and having to tow their racecar to a real track many miles away when they want to race. So what to do? Let's rent one piece of heavy equipment for an hour, get some race car out here, snap a couple pictures and see if we can get a few more bucks from the investors.

That sounds about right. I'm sure if they have been working on it there have been a lot of hurdles. But it must have been almost last decade when I first heard about this. And it was already a joke back in 2001.

I'd love to have a track in my back yard and maybe I'll be surprised when I get back...

...surprised if there is a track. Very surprised. :thumb:

lunchbox660
08-01-2019, 12:51 PM
eric, dont hold your breath on the surprise...you'll die for sure....that track will not be completed until hydrogen powered cars are the main form of transportation and by then all forms of racing, even on a track, will no longer be legal due to city growth and noise pollution regulations....so the track will be used as a museum and the staging lanes will be filled with hundreds of awesome examples of piston and rotor driven nostalgic muscle of the past...none of which will even run anymore because some dickface beureaucrat will mandate the removal of all internal engine components from all late model cars so that they cannot be started or driven ever again...the parts taken out will be melted down and cast into idols of bill clinton with his wang in his newest intern's mouth....

punkrokdood
08-01-2019, 01:59 PM
eric, dont hold your breath on the surprise...you'll die for sure....that track will not be completed until hydrogen powered cars are the main form of transportation and by then all forms of racing, even on a track, will no longer be legal due to city growth and noise pollution regulations....so the track will be used as a museum and the staging lanes will be filled with hundreds of awesome examples of piston and rotor driven nostalgic muscle of the past...none of which will even run anymore because some dickface beureaucrat will mandate the removal of all internal engine components from all late model cars so that they cannot be started or driven ever again...the parts taken out will be melted down and cast into idols of al gore with his wang in america's collective ass and a middle finger to reality....
fixed it for ya :thumb:

lunchbox660
08-02-2019, 01:07 AM
or that too...but i dont know much about al gore other than that he is a politician....politicians=jackass, so basically i automatically dont like him....

slow4dr
02-23-2019, 04:07 PM
LATEST NEWS

CONSTRUCTION UPDATE

Construction on Drag City was supposed to begin three weeks ago. However, Drag City's project coordinator, Tom Searles says that the hold up on the $15 million dollar drag strip has been due to the fact that he is working with several investment groups to help fund a $41 million dollar automotive industrial complex that will be built in close proximity to the drag strip.

Tom Searles adds, "When I first met the Maroccos, I was shown three different concepts: The first was primarily a world class dragstrip with the usual amenities. The second concept included limited ancillary developments as well. The third and final concept included a much larger use of ancillary developments which would make the Drag City facility a Mecca for Southern California racers and fans as well as for the drag racing and hot rodding industry itself for many decades to come". “After many more meetings and discussions we opted for the third and final concept which would put Southern California drag racers back in it's rightful place in the Drag Racing World”! "While we made plans several weeks ago to start construction, I decided to delay the mobilization of construction equipment until I reviewed several last minute proposals made by a few other investor groups". "Ron and Andy were understandably anxious to start around January 15th since that was the schedule that I gave them back in December, but they understand that my delay will have positive effects on the project as a whole". “I should have things finalized by or before March 1st. At the present time, I have my construction crews on standby and they will be able to mobilize within a 24-hour notice. One way or another we will be racing at Drag City sometime this summer as we have planned”.

blackbird
02-23-2019, 04:15 PM
Right... I've been watching their "new" web site to see if there's any changes. It sounds like it might really happen (as in some type of construction) this year but until the earth gets moved and construction paving begins I won't be holding my breath. It would really be nice to have a new drag strip 45 minutes from home.

slow4dr
02-23-2019, 04:25 PM
Check out the message board. They've already been called out.

2clean2drive
02-23-2019, 05:22 PM
i might drive down south for this, i likes the sounds of it drag city...just as long as this not what they mean by drag city....

http://www.kuci.org/~sara/Halloween/drag_queens_2.jpg

slow4dr
02-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Make sure to put the "-" inbetween drag and city or you'll end up with stuff like that.

2clean2drive
02-23-2019, 05:30 PM
Make sure to put the "-" inbetween drag and city or you'll end up with stuff like that.
that pic scares me....*puckers O-ring tight*

slow4dr
02-23-2019, 05:43 PM
:hit:

2clean2drive
02-23-2019, 05:48 PM
lmao...*digs up pic of jason & sassy doggy style pic*

slow4dr
02-23-2019, 05:58 PM
:hit:

2clean2drive
02-23-2019, 06:01 PM