View Full Version : trans

silverback
08-08-2017, 06:21 PM
im having a hard time shifting into 2nd 4th and reverse...my car has the mopar sts and booger bushings...i took off my console and looked around...it seem that the linkage is binding when im shifting into those gears...i can see metl shavings at the bottom of my shifter...also if i look in my engine bay i can move the linkage on the left freely...but the linkage on the right is rather stiff...any help would be great

lunchbox660
08-08-2017, 07:30 PM
maybe the bushings are either not seated properly or one of them already failed would be my guess. that is about the only SHIFTER related problem that could cause what you have described. if it isnt that, then i wuold say your synchros in those gears might be jacked up from poor shifting technique, but lets try working on the first one first since it is ALOT CHEAPER...do you still have the stock bushings? if so, try them out and see if they work better. i am running slow4dr's 60% shifter with the stock bushings and i like it just fine, so i dont think you are gonna have a problem with the stock bushings.

joe

lunchbox660
08-08-2017, 07:32 PM
wait, you said also you have metal shavngs at the bottom of the shifter...could be that the assembly there isnt tight enough within tolerances and it is causing a binding point.. you could take it off and check the play and see if it binding in there somewhere...try that AND check the bushings....cus if its synchros, youre gonna want to buy a few lottery tickets before you get into that one...

silverback
08-08-2017, 07:42 PM
ya i hope its not the syncros....its off and on with the the car...sometimes when i first drive the car i can get it into 2nd and 4th but then sometimes i cant....with the car off it feels like they are going into gear and sometimes not...does ne1 think with the irregular shifting as stated it could be the transmission itself...or as stated above it can be all due to binding beacuse of the metal shavings

lunchbox660
08-08-2017, 11:42 PM
check those things i told you about and tell us what you find, that will help us to narrow it down...so far, i DONT think its your tranny, i think its your busshing/shifter combo, but until you check it, we wont know....

silverback
08-09-2017, 04:16 PM
i am missing a retainer clip on my shift linkage...i have one that connects the linkage to the tranny but not the other..so i ordered it form dodge...165...i hope that fixes it

lunchbox660
08-10-2017, 01:57 AM
could very well be the problem. without the retaining clip, there might just be too much play.

|