View Full Version : SRT-4 vs. minivan (12-second minivan...)

blackbird
08-12-2019, 11:18 PM
Was going to post in another section but then I remembered he was racing a SRT-4. :thumb:

Clicky here (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/ae9355db-66ad-4584-a652-981b00fb73b9.htm) (crappy streetfire)

A new record for the ChryCo FWD minivan's was just set today. That means a Caravan is now (barely) trapping faster than my SRT-4. Nothing like a brick on wheels doing a 12.296@108.12 in the quarter. You'll have to register, but more info here (http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121472). Remember it only has one cam, 8 valves, and the intake and exhaust are on the same side of the head. :sneaky:

lunchbox660
08-13-2019, 12:10 AM
ERIC I THOUGHT YOU WERE IN GERMANY YOU SNEAKY DEVIL!

SRTMikey
08-13-2019, 01:26 AM
Wow! Did the rear door pop open at the end of his run?

blackbird
08-13-2019, 05:55 PM
Yep, it did open. :lol: He mentioned that on the thread on turbododge.com and also said it was breaking up due to a problem with the TPS voltage. I'd bet there's a good chance he'll get an 11-second pass out of it this season.

ERIC I THOUGHT YOU WERE IN GERMANY YOU SNEAKY DEVIL!
I wish. :lol: I think mine should be capable of a mid to upper 14-second pass on the stock turbo, but it would take quite a bit more work to go much quicker than that. The biggest thing I'd need to do is address fuel. Once I put a real intercooler on the van it was leaning out above 10-11 psi and non-intercooled I was nearly maxing out the MAP sensor at 13-14 psi right before fuel cut.

lunchbox660
08-14-2019, 03:10 AM
dont worry eric, when you return, we WILL get you that 12 second time slip!

blackbird
08-14-2019, 08:47 AM
Oh yes, it was run in Salt Lake City with an altitude of 4400 ft and corrected to around 8000 ft on that day. At a normal track it should be a touch quicker, but at least you don't see him complaining. Just from Fontana to LACR I loose half a second and I don't think the DA is that bad. So there's quite a good chance it already is an 11-second minivan at another track.

I kind of like having the automatic but I did pick up an extra A568 5-speed from a turbo Voyager last spring. Nothing like a factory 5-speed, turbo mini. :evil2:

lunchbox660
08-14-2019, 12:40 PM
i too gained about a half a second almost at LACR from fontana...but where it hurt the MOST was my trap speeds....i was trapping 109 at fontana last time i went, but at LACR i think the highest i ever trapped was like 104 or 105...the car just runs CRAZY rich up there and i couldnt trim enough fuel to make a notiecable difference before the night was over...but maybe now that im getting more volume with the ported stocker i might be able to high elevation tune it a little better?

as far as tranny's go (no, not the ones with the diseases....im talkin about cars...) i would think you would rather have the auto than the 5 speed...no? more consistent, plus it makes the drive to the track alot more friendly...but then again, knowing you, im sure you have a good idea up your sleeve....

blackbird
08-14-2019, 05:54 PM
I five speed would trap a little better and unless I dig inside the old A413 slushbox for some upgrades I wouldn't want to run slicks on it (which I would with no problems with on a stick). Too many decisions. Since it already has an automatic that's what it will probably stay until it lets go. Then again if Banning ever opened up I'd have to see how it would do as a tow vehicle coming back up the hills. For that the stick would be better... :lol:

lunchbox660
08-14-2019, 09:11 PM
very well then, just do the 5 speed....sounds like the pros outweigh the cons in your given application....

i wish i could afford to do the DCR auto drag tranny for my car tho....i think that would be sikkkkk

blackbird
08-15-2019, 06:18 AM
Go to Pick-a-Part or Ecology on one of their half-off day specials. Pull an A413 from an '89-91 turbo Dodge. Pull a 31TH from a '98+ Neon. Order performance rebuild kit, clutch packs, etc. and have the A413 torque converter rebuilt (if desired). Combine best of part from the two and there you go. Add one manual reverse (shift) valve body and or tweak for fully automatic operation to meet your desires. Optional adapt a Quaife or cheap OBX knock-off from a Neon A578/T-350 with a spacer plate and modified diff cover for a torque biasing LSD. Done (beside the other minor mounts, cables, throttle body, and so on). :thumb:

blackbird
08-15-2019, 06:36 AM
DCR is nice but expensive and he wasn't even doing the rebuilds in shop (which he may be doing now). One of the places that was/is doing his builds is out in SoCal and also did the transaxles behind Scott Mohler's car. There's also other option like Stephane Beauregard (http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/smp_performance)* who is now working with FWD Performance ( http://www.fwdperformance.com/Store/) that (was also supposedly building the transaxle for DCR at one time in the past).

*-Who is I believe now the fastest FWD turbo Dodge and is going quicker than the built, former factory sponsored SRT-4's. And he's using his own transaxle behind his 2.2L Turbo III.

lunchbox660
08-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Go to Pick-a-Part or Ecology on one of their half-off day specials. Pull an A413 from an '89-91 turbo Dodge. Pull a 31TH from a '98+ Neon. Order performance rebuild kit, clutch packs, etc. and have the A413 torque converter rebuilt (if desired). Combine best of part from the two and there you go. Add one manual reverse (shift) valve body and or tweak for fully automatic operation to meet your desires. Optional adapt a Quaife or cheap OBX knock-off from a Neon A578/T-350 with a spacer plate and modified diff cover for a torque biasing LSD. Done (beside the other minor mounts, cables, throttle body, and so on). :thumb:

ive never done any transmission work other than replacing the shift block on the SRT4...this sounds like a good idea, but for a guy with no tranny experience, do you think i would be ok, or is it too complicated for the novice? any rough estimate on how much this project would cost? sounds interesting, and if the price if right and it seems doable, it would be a nice weekend project for me to try out....

blackbird
08-15-2019, 12:39 PM
You can get a lot of the service manuals from eBay for the older A413 which is the same as the Neon's 31TH (new name for the same old A413) except for the bell housing was different because the 2.0/2.4's have the starter on the opposite compared to the 2.2/2.5's. If you can follow carefully procedures, keep the work environment absolutely clean, and maybe need one or two special tools an automatic isn't that bad to work on. There's also a lot of good info on the net and over at turbododge.com and some of the sites for the older cars.

Cost wise, maybe $100-150 for both the core transaxles if you pull them yourself on a sale price day. You could use the stock A413 torque converter or find a shop to rebuild and strengthen it (I've seen converters rebuilt for under a hundred or two and "new" performance units from places like Forward Motion sell for near $1k so there's a wide range). The clutch packs and internals aren't too bad ($100-ish), same with the modifications to the valve body (depends if you want to retain hydraulic shift control or use a reverse manual valve body). No machining is required that I can think of but depending on the differential you use there's a couple spots that can be welder for strength.

In the end it's something I'd try, but plan for all the little stuff (modifying the intake manifold... Jason maybe...), junkyard throttle body, trans mount, shifter and you'd spend a few bucks for it all. But if you get something wrong you're mostly out time as the internal wear items aren't the expensive part of a rebuild. It's definitely a project, but it would also be quite a bit less than most rebuilds from bigger race shops run. And I like doing stuff myself anyways. :lol:

|