View Full Version : contemplating front fascia mod and want opinions

Eulers Ghost
09-06-2019, 08:49 AM
I want to try and get a little more air over the minibeast. I know some people who are running oversized IC's completely delete the crosshairs on the front fascia. I assume its for more airflow. Having a direct fit IC I dont know if that is necessary, but I am contemplating cutting out the lower half of the vertical beam of the crosshair. I think there would be enough residual support to keep the mesh in place to protect the IC from larger debris but would help get a little more air under there. Im just a little uncertain how it would look.

Opinions?

punkrokdood
09-06-2019, 09:00 AM
i think it will make absolutely no difference in performance. the biggest gain would probably be the weight loss... but the 8 ounces you lose from that little piece of plastic is less than negligible. even on a big FMIC, the gains would be minimal at best

of course this is my opinion, and it isn't backed by anything scientific :lol:

but to answer your actual question, i personally think it would look better stock :thumb:

Eulers Ghost
09-06-2019, 09:14 AM
im tending to agree. okay then, stock it remains.

el_jefe
09-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Add sidewalls between the IC and the facia to prevent airloss to the sides, and another on the top coming out to the cross piece on the facia to prevent air from going up. :thumb:

phillysrt4
09-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Add sidewalls between the IC and the facia to prevent airloss to the sides, and another on the top coming out to the cross piece on the facia to prevent air from going up. :thumb:

not a bad idea! im pretty good with carbon fiber fabrication. I'll have to see if I have enough scraps lying around.

el_jefe
09-06-2019, 12:34 PM
not a bad idea! im pretty good with carbon fiber fabrication. I'll have to see if I have enough scraps lying around.

It's all about the airflow. :thumb: Some cars have them stock, at least on the sides.

Daryl
09-06-2019, 12:49 PM
if you're thinkin about this still...try to see one in person. that fascia becomes really weak without the xhair! i think its a cool look but it's really done for looks rather than performance...our cars get enough air rammed into it

lunchbox660
09-06-2019, 06:05 PM
i did it to mine not for getting more air but just cus it looks alot better to me. and it does not make it any weaker like daryl says. ive had mine chopped up for a while now and my bumper is still there and not going anywhere....

pics FTW....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lunchbox660/cars/DSC01608.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lunchbox660/cars/DSC01591.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lunchbox660/cars/DSC01590.jpg

Daryl
09-06-2019, 06:11 PM
underneath the dodge emblem it doesn't have that xhair section so its easy to push in...i've noticed that on everyone i've seen

lunchbox660
09-06-2019, 06:43 PM
underneath the dodge emblem it doesn't have that xhair section so its easy to push in...i've noticed that on everyone i've seen

its ABS plastic....its easy to push in even WITH the crosshairs there. ABS plastic will bounce right back, so its no big deal. and since it is ABS plastic, it takes a pretty nasty smash to break it anyways, so regardless if you have the crosshair or not, if you sustain a hit hard enough to break the ABS to the point where it doesnt just bounce bac, your bumper will be the LEAST of your concerns, beleive me.

i was rear ended by another 2nd gen neon doing nearly 50 MPH and the ABS showed nearly no signs of visible damge, save scratches. all the real damage was underneath....

dont worry about the plastic, cus it will be fine, but your radiator and intercooler may suffer from a frontal impact, in which case, that crosshair would not have saved them anyway. trust me on this one. :thumb:

joe

lunchbox660
09-06-2019, 06:48 PM
and on second thought, why would you be intentionally pushing and prodding your car's body for weak spots anyway? that sounds like a good way to rack up an unnecessary body shop bill...i suppose you kick the quarterpanels to see how sturdy they are too? lol just playin. bro, seriously, if someone is going to complain about the plastic not being strong enough, they OBVIOUSLY are too picky IMO and wouldnt be shopping for neons anyway...this sounds more like the mentality of someone who buys only german engineered and built cars...you want high quality, there it is...but lets face it....after all, these are.... JUST NEONS....lol

hydrohopper
09-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Here's mine . . .

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTI4ODU2ODZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Intruudir
09-12-2019, 11:29 AM
i did it to mine not for getting more air but just cus it looks alot better to me. and it does not make it any weaker like daryl says. ive had mine chopped up for a while now and my bumper is still there and not going anywhere....

pics FTW....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lunchbox660/cars/DSC01608.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lunchbox660/cars/DSC01591.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lunchbox660/cars/DSC01590.jpg

The work on your front bumber/facia looks great....did you take it to a body shop to patch up the areas where the cross hairs were attached and then have them paint it too....it looks professionaly done?

lunchbox660
09-12-2019, 11:55 AM
no i did it all myself. i wrote the how-to on it, just go read it and see how easy it really is....

JuanDirtyMessican
09-13-2019, 11:03 AM

hmm would you consider making a CF front facia with an added lip?

lunchbox660
09-13-2019, 02:41 PM
hmm would you consider making a CF front facia with an added lip?

you must be rich. a custom fabricated carbon fiber front fascia would be WELL over $1000...and if it ever got into a fender bender....well....it wouldnt be a bender....it would be a very expensive breaker...

flipside, i have given SMALL consideration to buying another car for a daily driver, chopping up the entire body of the SRT and converting as much of it as i can to fiberglass (howell automotive sells FG doors, trunk, hood, bumpers) and chopping up the interior and replacing with gussetted tubeframe chassis....but i need another car first. if i ever get another one, this is definitely on my to do list. im all about light weigth, im not really into big power.

of course the SRT woudl then only be a track car...since FG would disintegrate in a wreck on the streets...

Eulers Ghost
09-14-2019, 07:24 AM
i agree with him. to do the fascia completely in carbon would be very expensive and time consuming. Id probably have to make 2 or 3 molds so that i had a positive mold and then laying enough fiber (at about 50 a linear yard now due to shortages) would make it really expensive.

to make a couple of baffles out of scraps with cheap foam plate cores is a different story.

Pr3mium Brewed
09-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Do this mod

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/pr3mium_brewed/pwnt/WHYHENRY.jpg

sickest facia mod evar.

wannasupra
09-15-2019, 01:55 PM
ouch.

Eulers Ghost
09-15-2019, 07:48 PM
LOL fail!

Pr3mium Brewed
09-16-2019, 09:48 AM
LOL fail!
By the way, remember when we were trying to find pictures of a wrecked SRT that had the crash bar removed? ta daaaaa!

Pr3mium Brewed
09-16-2019, 09:51 AM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/pr3mium_brewed/wreckedsrt.jpg

Eulers Ghost
09-16-2019, 09:52 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OWNED!!!

brewed - btw what r u doing for the high holidays?

Pr3mium Brewed
09-16-2019, 10:05 AM
oh probably just trying to coach the lil' shiksa through the motions of Judaism.

Eulers Ghost
09-16-2019, 10:22 AM
oh probably just trying to coach the lil' shiksa through the motions of Judaism.

she's gonna go to shul??? cool!

Eulers Ghost
09-16-2019, 10:23 AM
coaching advice:

http://www.sotsyndicate.com/showthread.php?t=1893

lunchbox660
09-16-2019, 12:13 PM
By the way, remember when we were trying to find pictures of a wrecked SRT that had the crash bar removed? ta daaaaa!

its a good point in a way, but in all honesty i dont think it would have been a whole lot better WITH it...that car obviously hit pretty hard. the crash bar doesnt make the car indestructible, and thats what so many people are acting like....they think that if they take it off their car is gonna disintegrate in a crash but if they leave it it is not gonna get hurt....thats just not the case....i see your point, but there are definitely two sides to every story, and im sure if you heartd the TRUE story of what happened in that wreck, they were prolly goin pretty fast.

Pr3mium Brewed
09-16-2019, 12:36 PM
All I'm saying is that the bar is there for a reason, it's not decoration. While we might not be talking about a difference between life and death, if you're going fast enough to die it probably isn't going to matter, but it could very well be the difference between a totalled car and a repair job.

lunchbox660
09-16-2019, 10:12 PM
im still going to have to disagree with you. im not trying to start a fight, so please dont take it personally. please remember that this car weighs in close to 3000 pounds. imagine the amount of force being exerted on that single impact point on the SRT at any speed. if youre good at physics, im sure you could figure out exactly how much force. im not a physics guy, so i cant really say, but all i know is that if the car weighs 3000 pounds with a driver in it, then the force applied instantly to the crash bar at the point of impact is MORE than 3000 pounds....all at once, and all at one spot. again, im not a physics wiz, but it doesnt take one to know that this situation would cause some damage. one thing that i DO know related to physics is that a plane connected to two or more planes while force is being exerted on the one plance will cause the others to deflect. what this means is that if you bend that crash bar, youre going to bend the frame too. bend the frame then that means your body panels also will be twisted. before you know it, youre looking at alot more than just a simple body shop fix.

again, not tryin to start a fight or nothing, im just making sure that we are all thinking about the same points. i see your point in saying that it would be better off WITH it, and i totally agree, but looking at that picture can tell me a few things for sure...

even WITH the crash bar installed, that car would STILL need to fix/replace the following things:

crash bar itself
bumper cover
headlights
intercooler
hoods
both quarter panels

and then he'd have to match the paint. this is all assuming that the crash bar would save the radiator and engine, but even if it did, they are still looking at several THOUSANDS of dollars of repair cost....

Pr3mium Brewed
09-16-2019, 10:32 PM
Meh, I'm not looking for a fight either. My view on it is about the same as wearing a helmet on a bike, if you're going fast enough it's not going to matter either way but it can't hurt to have it.

lunchbox660
09-16-2019, 10:54 PM
tru tru. well, i for one have been tyring to get a crash bar, but i couldnt find one that fit the AGP intercooler without sticking way out in front and looking all gay. i was GONNA do a custom one myself just to tie the front end back together, but ive been lazy. my buddy just got one for his car and imma see if it will work on mine and if so, ill use that one.

Pr3mium Brewed
09-16-2019, 11:33 PM
So basically we're in agreement that the mopar bov is essential for 12 sec passes, right?

Eulers Ghost
09-17-2019, 08:17 AM
So basically we're in agreement that the mopar bov is essential for 12 sec passes, right?

:rofl: :rofl:

lunchbox660
09-17-2019, 04:00 PM
absolutely. matter of fact, i took my noise maker off and my car instantly was passed on the freeway by 32456032750932 hondas, all with big wings and $3000 sticker kits....

Eulers Ghost
09-17-2019, 06:58 PM
absolutely. matter of fact, i took my noise maker off and my car instantly was passed on the freeway by 32456032750932 hondas, all with big wings and $3000 sticker kits....

:bs: they were $5,000 sticker kits

lunchbox660
09-17-2019, 09:16 PM
well, i was talking about the guys with the D15's. they couldnt afford the $5000 kits. the guys with the B16's had them tho. the guys with the K20's were sportin' uber-wide body kits, 29" chrome rims, 17" exhaust tips and wings that they stole from 747 jets. they dont make sticker kits big enough for that wide of a body, so they spend the extra green and got a "custom" lime green paintjob with a japanese rising sun on the doors

|