View Full Version : Danger! Nitrous! Car totaled...

blackbird
11-26-2018, 02:02 PM
Sure, it does make some nice power, but the following is yet another reason I'll stay away from NOS. A big turbo could also blow your engine but let's see it cause this much extra damage.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p228/Doustin15/lastnight.jpg

http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-induction-nitrous/533920-think-twice.html
More pics on post 21.

It officially hasn't been written off and it wouldn't surprise me to see it not even get covered by the insurance. That's quite a bit of damage. Also focaljet is a pretty good forum and the members don't go around the internet trolling when someone links to something a stupid Civic or Neon driver did, so respect that and avoid the temptation. The original poster doesn't come off as being too smart as it is.

gudeman00
11-26-2018, 02:10 PM
Sure, it does make some nice power, but the following is yet another reason I'll stay away from NOS. A big turbo could also blow your engine but let's see it cause this much extra damage.

It officially hasn't been written off and it wouldn't surprise me to see it not even get covered by the insurance. That's quite a bit of damage. Also focaljet is a pretty good forum and the members don't go around the internet trolling when someone links to something a stupid Civic or Neon driver did, so respect that and avoid the temptation. The original poster doesn't come off as being too smart as it is.

There's the majority of the problem.
If I had the extra money for nitrous I'd get it, but I'd make sure to have all the precautions covered, so something like that doesn't happen to me.

blackbird
11-26-2018, 02:35 PM
There's always the risk that something like a solenoid could stick or some other issue, but it's like that with a lot of other upgrades too. I'll definitely agree that being smart about it will prevent most of the problems. But it's still a very harsh power delivery and shock to the engine even with a good kit. And when's the last time you've seen a big turbo let go and cause the airbags to go off. :lol:

evil_2
11-26-2018, 02:39 PM
thats a saleen focus....the nitrous comes with the car...its just not hooked up....when you do, it voids the warranty

over priced base model focus with nitrous..that basically all it is.

blackbird
11-26-2018, 03:05 PM
Although he said he bought and installed the kit, Saleen did offer the N2O Focus (http://www.saleen.com/n2o_s121.htm) and they were pretty expensive ($25,999 MSRP). More than a load European Appearance Package SVT was selling for and not as nice. Maybe one of the reasons they sat on dealer lots for a long time until being practically given away.

sota
11-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Nitrous in the wrong hands.

hassviper
11-26-2018, 07:00 PM
haha own3d

srtowner
11-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Well in the end it's still a ford so who really cares?

blackbird
11-27-2018, 03:05 AM
There's nothing wrong with a lot of Ford's and the Focus is a much better car than the Neon on many counts. Now I personally think the Saleen modified vehicles on the other hand are hyped quite a bit and I personally think you'd be crazy to pay that much for their modified Focus (as well a lot of their other models) for what you get. The S7 isn't too bad though. :thumb:

Tom Joad
11-27-2018, 09:37 AM
:werd: The ZX3 is a good car with a crap engine.

This thread just convinced me to stay away from nitrous. :yikes:

hassviper
11-27-2018, 10:00 AM
i'm not a fan of nitrous, just dont like the idea that it runs out. That's just personal preference though, but if you want to say its a bad idea, you're wrong. Anyone using Nitrous right will get great results. Anything set up wrong can have that kind of disatrous results. Say someone sets a big turbo up with too much boost and starts shooting out pistons(Exagerattion yes). Anything that adds power can have a horrible result if set up wrong.

blackbird
11-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Yep, just like if someone tried to install a big turbo kit with giant fuel injectors and a piggyback on a stock PCM. It'll might run right most of the time but you never know... :thumb:

Also for more meaningless trivia, this was an '05+ Focus with the Duratec20 2.0L engine which was co-developed with Mazda and is sold by Mazda as their MZR family (and is the basis for the turbocharged powerplant in the Mazdaspeed 6 and 3). In any case the engine wasn't what let go here as it looks to be an external fault with the nitrous system. As for the Duratec/MZR, the stock rods are pretty weak for forced induction but the rest of the engine is pretty solid. The older Zetec wasn't as bad as many people think either. Most were pretty underpowered from the factory but structurally the engine architecture is not too bad. For example you should see how the oiling control system compares with a lot of other cars.

Tom Joad
11-28-2018, 07:23 AM
I never modded my Zetec; all I know was that it lost drag races to stock minivans. :gcry: They were no match for me in the twisties though. :thumb:

AJ Quick
11-28-2018, 12:18 PM
The kid installed it incorrectly....

srtowner
11-28-2018, 06:52 PM
The SRT was not racing.

el_jefe
11-28-2018, 09:29 PM
I dunno, I am still looking at a nitrous set up. A nice, 300+ hp "stock" turbo, and a 75 wet shot for the extra hundred hp to deal with those pesky C5 Z06's

AJ Quick
11-28-2018, 10:23 PM
No window switches. No safety switches.. looks like the lines were all kinked under the battery tray..

westup
11-29-2018, 10:41 AM
unsafe ghetto mods

whiteACRsrt05
11-29-2018, 11:33 AM
:ftard: sometimes ghettoing stuff is like doing this:twak: to your car

svt2srt4
11-29-2018, 12:11 PM
The kid installed it incorrectly....
the kid only installed the bottle not the nos kit, it was there when he bought the car...

cookie32
11-29-2018, 04:27 PM
Remember kids, DRUGS are a bad thing, JUST SAY NO...............

NOS is like making a deal with the Devil, sure things are great when your on top, but when it goes bad, it's all bad

ENDY
11-29-2018, 10:16 PM
I don't care how well a nos kit is made or installed, I personally will never use that shit. I've seen $30,000+ engines detonate with nos. But, when I saw a documentary about Skunk2 and a civic si they made expressely for nos, I knew I'd never use the stuff. The engine had ROCK SOLID hardware (crank, rods, etc.) and was puropose built to handle the heat & stress of heavy nos use. Hell, even the pistons had somesort of special heat resistant coating I haven't heard of!! Well, Skunk2 readily admits the engine only lasts for about 10,000 miles before having to be torn down and rebuilt. Yes, this was a track engine, but the stresses are the same over time.

Nos burns too hot and is too explosive for me. Oh, and the black smoke from heavy usage is funny too! If it is used ONLY for track use, fine. But, it should never be used for street.

Hayabusa
01-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Ok so how exactly did that happen? For the rest of us explain exactly what happened.

Hayabusa

blackbird
01-22-2018, 04:40 AM
I can't pull up that thread from the other site from where I'm at right now, but off memory there was a nitrous leak that ignited. First mistake was driving around with a bottle connected and open while on the street. From there it could have been an installation problem where something like a line or fitting leaked, a solenoid failed open or started leaking, etc. It's one of those things where if you take precautions you can minimize the risks but they're still there. It's easy power but the expense of bottle refills, the harshness which that power is delivered, and risks like these are some of the biggest reasons I stay away.

|