View Full Version : my southwest mega meet experience

punkrokdood
11-26-2019, 01:12 PM
well, I got :owned:
On my way out there I popped the TIP sensor out of my pressure pipe... again. So, I stopped in Yuma and took it all apart to get it in so it wouldn't pop out anymore. While i had the pipe out, i found a 1/4 inch hole in the pipe which was obviously leaking boost. So, i wrapped it up as bset i could with electrical tape since that's all i had, and that obviously didn't work too well. So i tried duct tape the next day as a temporary fix for the dyno day. That didn't work either, but here are my dyno results:

http://branon.us/dyno.jpg

The next day was the track day, where despite the great prep, i was only able to pull 14.3@99 mph, on a 2.5 60 foot :yikes: and was very consistent. I ran 14.3 every time except when i missed 3rd and got 15.1@99. I got 99 every time except when i hot lapped it and got 14.3@97. I got 2.5 60 ft every time. If i tried to launch, i just spun, if i got on it at all in first i spun. I had to just roll it off the line. This of course was on street tires. When my car was running better (not well, i had different issues then), i was pulling 2.2 and 2.4 60 foots at qualcom, so i know that i'm capable of better

The next day it was all over, so i built a boost leak checker and figured i'd search for more leaks. Well, the one in the pipe is so bad that I can't even tell if there are other leaks. I have a new pipe on order, so I hope that fixes a lot of my issues (other than the driver issues) :lol:

otherwise it was awesome. The AZ guys have an awesome group out there... and a LOT of big power :yikes:

SassySRT
11-26-2019, 01:38 PM
Rule number 1: If Brandon offers to work on your car, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction!! :rofl:

Glad you had a good time, dispite all the car issues.

punkrokdood
11-28-2019, 04:41 PM
btw, i was the ONLY one that showed up from out of state :yikes:

slow4dr
11-28-2019, 04:47 PM
Damn, I am surprised it still made that much power with that big of a boost leak.

punkrokdood
11-28-2019, 05:00 PM
Damn, I am surprised it still made that much power with that big of a boost leak.
me too... that's why i'm not 100% pissed off about it.
14.3@99 with a 2.5 60'
253 best power
325 best tq
not too bad considering the leak... so maybe when my new pipe comes in I WILL have that 270-280 i've been deprived of :ftard: :owned:

slow4dr
11-28-2019, 05:34 PM
It still should have trapped higher though. What was the weather like?

punkrokdood
11-28-2019, 05:47 PM
^^^ the weather was warm, but not hot really, and it was dry. I'm not suprised that it didn't trap very high. if you look at my dyno, you can see that it starts dying at 4500 rpm (I was running like the green graph shows) it would spike like crazy, then almost instantly drop off to 15 psi. The spike i believe was caused by the leak being in the pressure pipe, and my MBC being t'd off the throttle body.

slow4dr
11-28-2019, 05:57 PM
Just based off the graph I would have been shifting at 5000 rpm.

punkrokdood
11-28-2019, 06:03 PM
that's what i was doing... i over shot it a bit in first and second, but i was shifting at right about 5000 rpm. i wouldn't get very far into 4th by the end ot the track. I figured i'd trap higher too, but my only guess is that leak. on the green curve, i only made 245 hp, which is the same settings i used at the track, but added 2 gallons of VP 109 with 5 gallons 91 jsut to hopefully keep the timing in check better. I was able to get the hole plugged long enough to last one on ramp the next day, and HOLY SHIT, it was a whole new feeling, then i could hear the hole open back up, and the car fell on its face again, and started spiking 25 psi again.

EDIT: when the hole was plugged it would spike and hold 20 psi and it pulled a LOT harder than the 25 psi crap that happened as soon as the leak came back

slow4dr
11-28-2019, 06:10 PM
100 more lb-ft and 20-30 more HP on hand and it trapped around stock #'s. I think the leak must have got worse at the track or something to that effect.

punkrokdood
11-28-2019, 06:13 PM
stock they trap at 99-101. my peak hp was made at 4500 rpm. i'm not even that high when i hit 4th. i don't think the numbers were so much the problem as the fact that the band was way to short to make any good speed from it. my hp band was 1000 rpm wide 4k-5k. i think that is where a lot of the problem came... and the fact that i got shitty launches

i wouldn't be surpised if the leak was worse at the track... the leak was slowed down with duct tape on the dyno... and i heard it open there. it sounded like a kazoo when it hit full boost on the dyno, and sounded like that ever since

slow4dr
11-28-2019, 06:17 PM
From 3000-5000 you are making more than 250 lb-ft.

punkrokdood
11-28-2019, 06:23 PM
true... i don't know wtf was going on there. i know in first i didn't even go full throttle, second i went full throttle no prob, then WOT 3rd and 4th between 5k and 5.5k rpm.

that leak must have gotten a lot worse. i'll see how it does when my new pipe (this time a metal one) comes in

el_jefe
11-29-2019, 01:07 PM
Of course, our crap tracks don't help at all either

punkrokdood
11-29-2019, 04:22 PM
Of course, our crap tracks don't help at all either
i don't even want to HEAR about crap tracks... compare speedworld (the worst in AZ from what i hear) to qualcomm, and tell me that you have crappy tracks :rofl:

|