PDA

View Full Version : Hood Mod??

SRTMikey
11-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Did a search and couldn't find any information on this mod. What do you use for the gasket between the hood and airbox? How do you line up the holes between the hood and airbox before you cut? Thanks for any help.

punkrokdood
11-26-2020, 06:53 PM
generally you can use rubber weather stripping. to line it up, cut the hood, then put the weather stripping around it. then use chalk on the weather stripping and close the hood. it should leave a ring on the airbox then you can cut it out using the ring as a guide

SRTMikey
11-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Hey, thanks dood. Sounds pretty easy.

noTe
11-27-2020, 02:20 PM
Just a FYI on the hood mod: The SRT team was going to do it from the factory but did not for certain reasons. That is why I never did it.

gudeman00
11-27-2020, 02:37 PM
What certain reasons?

noTe
11-27-2020, 02:43 PM
What certain reasons?

The engine will draw heat given off by the turbo back through the hood ducting, directly into the airbox. You don't have to believe me, ask the SRT team. They are more than willing in the past to say it was their idea, but it didn't work out as planned. Feel free to ask Erich Heuschele, the 2003 SRT-4 factory Onelap driver who insisted that the hood mod be included on the test mule they ran. It wasn't long before the PVO (now SRT) engineer with him was able to show him on a datalogger that he was drawing hot air into the airbox. The "duct tape mod" was used to repair the airbox after that... And also Erich is the newest SRT engineer who started this year as well.

svt2srt4
11-27-2020, 04:10 PM
The engine will draw heat given off by the turbo back through the hood ducting, directly into the airbox. You don't have to believe me, ask the SRT team. They are more than willing in the past to say it was their idea, but it didn't work out as planned. Feel free to ask Erich Heuschele, the 2003 SRT-4 factory Onelap driver who insisted that the hood mod be included on the test mule they ran. It wasn't long before the PVO (now SRT) engineer with him was able to show him on a datalogger that he was drawing hot air into the airbox. The "duct tape mod" was used to repair the airbox after that... And also Erich is the newest SRT engineer who started this year as well.
OK...So you know that it introduces hot air into the airbox using the hood mod but did they say if it had any performance gains at all? If so then it would still be a good mod but if not then you have actually proven this mod to be worthless.And when they discovered the mod had a major downside to it was any other alternative used besides the duct tape mod?

noTe
11-27-2020, 04:18 PM
OK...So you know that it introduces hot air into the airbox using the hood mod but did they say if it had any performance gains at all? If so then it would still be a good mod but if not then you have actually proven this mod to be worthless.And when they discovered the mod had a major downside to it was any other alternative used besides the duct tape mod?

There were no performance gains.

poorwboy
11-27-2020, 06:11 PM
Did a search and couldn't find any information on this mod. What do you use for the gasket between the hood and airbox? How do you line up the holes between the hood and airbox before you cut? Thanks for any help.
Plus you do not want to mangle up your stock hood. Ghetto!

silent
11-27-2020, 08:44 PM
did mine looks good n sounds nice

Fourbanger
11-28-2020, 08:53 AM
did mine looks good n sounds nice
hows it run tho???

punkrokdood
11-28-2020, 08:57 AM
it should only draw in hot air when the car is sitting still. if you spend a lot of time in traffic, that could be bad. the air off the turbo isn't just "hot" its VERY hot, which could be extremely bad if you're sitting for a while. once you get moving, it shouldn't matter so much any more. Intake mods of any kind don't really do much for this car until you are getting close to 300 hp on the stock turbo, or on an aftermarket turbo.

Hitman
11-28-2020, 12:23 PM
generally you can use rubber weather stripping. to line it up, cut the hood, then put the weather stripping around it. then use chalk on the weather stripping and close the hood. it should leave a ring on the airbox then you can cut it out using the ring as a guide

Actually, if you look closely at the top of the airbox, there is a circle outline. I dremeled mine out. The chalk on top of the weather stripping works well as far as lining up the hood and box.

punkrokdood
11-28-2020, 12:25 PM
Actually, if you look closely at the top of the airbox, there is a circle outline. I dremeled mine out. The chalk on top of the weather stripping works well as far as lining up the hood and box.
i've never noticed that... good info :thumb:

svt2srt4
11-28-2020, 12:42 PM
if at all possible can you provide a pic im curious to see the end result of this...

Broken5hift
11-28-2020, 01:44 PM
if at all possible can you provide a pic im curious to see the end result of this...

just open your hood.

Hitman
11-28-2020, 01:47 PM
I have the hood mod done, but unfortunately, since I went with a CAI, the box is gone. The hole is still there with weatherstripping. I'm not sure how much it will help to take pictures of that part.

Broken5hift
11-28-2020, 02:09 PM
how bout you take a pic of you shitting all over your hood. i mean, ok.

svt2srt4
11-28-2020, 02:31 PM
how bout you take a pic of you shitting all over your hood. i mean, ok.
you just want to see my ass...... broken5hift=:supergay:

svt2srt4
11-28-2020, 02:32 PM
oh ...yeah and if any body has the bottom half to their airbox and is willing to get rid of it i need one since i broke one of the mounting tabs while installing my mbc...:ftard:..:rofl:

Broken5hift
11-28-2020, 02:41 PM
get an intake.

svt2srt4
11-28-2020, 02:51 PM
get an intake.
i have to take my car in for a warranty repair and i cant do that untill i get it back to stock minus broken air box...now give me your air box damn it...i know you have a cai or sri...

Broken5hift
11-28-2020, 02:58 PM
i do have the airbox. whats your point. you want it? gimme money :)

TrevSRT
11-28-2020, 03:02 PM
I have this hoodmod done also, but have lacked the time to go & buy something to cut the hole in the bottom side of the hood, already have the hole on the intake box.

I'll post up some pictures when I finish it up. :thumb:

noTe
11-28-2020, 03:03 PM
since i broke one of the mounting tabs while installing my mbc...:ftard:..:rofl:

Uh.. why did you remove your intake to install a boost controller?

svt2srt4
11-28-2020, 03:26 PM
i do have the airbox. whats your point. you want it? gimme money :)
alright how much and be reasonable its xmas time money is scarce...unless i wait till after the first of the year or someone buys my mbc...crap just tell me how much...:ftard:

svt2srt4
11-28-2020, 03:29 PM
Uh.. why did you remove your intake to install a boost controller?
because i wanted a clear area to work in so i could get to all hoses and see what im doing clearly and also i was looking for the so called "boost leak at air box" and i installed the mbc in that area so it made install hell of alot easier...so the real question is why wouldn't i have taken out the air box?...

noTe
11-28-2020, 03:33 PM
because i wanted a clear area to work in so i could get to all hoses and see what im doing clearly and also i was looking for the so called "boost leak at air box" and i installed the mbc in that area so it made install hell of alot easier...so the real question is why wouldn't i have taken out the air box?...

boost leak at the air box? I've never heard of it. The intake is just a black plastic tube going to the turbo.

My boost controller wasn't even near the air box.

punkrokdood
11-28-2020, 03:34 PM
boost leak at the air box? I've never heard of it. The intake is just a black plastic tube going to the turbo.

the black line that goes up to your airbox with the rubber elbow on it (not from the valve cover) leaks boost back into the intake

svt2srt4
11-28-2020, 03:44 PM

That's nice noTe but mine is and it looks clean and was easy to mount using existing screw's and easy to adjust. I'll post a pic on this thread later when i get home.

noTe
11-28-2020, 04:19 PM
That's nice noTe but mine is and it looks clean and was easy to mount using existing screw's and easy to adjust. I'll post a pic on this thread later when i get home.

Well, with mine I hid it and didn't have to mount it anywhere. You couldn't even tell I had a boost controller. And it's better that way when your street racing. :jester:

svt2srt4
11-28-2020, 04:25 PM
Well, with mine I hid it and didn't have to mount it anywhere. You couldn't even tell I had a boost controller. And it's better that way when your street racing. :jester:
OK...So where the hell did you put it?.. And was it easy to adjust? Mine is right on top as I open my hood ,and it looks cool.Also if you dont want them to know what your running dont open the hood at all..

punkrokdood
11-28-2020, 04:37 PM
OK...So where the hell did you put it?.. And was it easy to adjust? Mine is right on top as I open my hood ,and it looks cool.Also if you dont want them to know what your running dont open the hood at all..
opening the hood and looking stock is better than not opening the hood at all :thumb: :sneaky:

noTe
11-28-2020, 04:47 PM

I'll have to look at the pictures at home and show you where I put mine.

Yeah, it was easy. I just pulled it out where I had put it and adjusted it easily. I don't care if my engine bay "looks cool". I want it to look stock.

noTe
11-28-2020, 04:47 PM
opening the hood and looking stock is better than not opening the hood at all :thumb: :sneaky:

Bingo

Broken5hift
11-28-2020, 07:40 PM
i also usually take out the intake to work. its easier to have an open area than be trying to fish around large objects and things being blocked. plus if taking the intake in and out is difficult or time consumming for you, you probably shouldnt be working under the hood to begin with.

svt2srt4
11-28-2020, 08:49 PM
i also usually take out the intake to work. its easier to have an open area than be trying to fish around large objects and things being blocked. plus if taking the intake in and out is difficult or time consumming for you, you probably shouldnt be working under the hood to begin with.
I second that its so much quicker to take it out and then it makes it so much easier to work in that area.And then you get a more clear perspective of what your working with.Just don't be like me and try to force it back in cus the piece of shit will break.(Trust Me):thumb:

SRTMikey
11-29-2020, 10:16 PM
Well if it doesn't gain anything, why do it? Thanks guys, you helped me make up my mind not to do the hood mod.

Hitman, I did see that there was an area on the underside of the airbox lid that looked like it could be cut out. That's what made me ask about this mod.

Fourbanger
11-30-2020, 02:41 PM
I take my intake out as well, its not like were taking off..... nevermind. four bolts, unscrew two clamps and unhook some solinoids/lines.

Just a tip svt, if its harder to put back in than it was to take off your probably doing something wrong. Also watch the lines that run around the airbox to the fender-wall they will not take much abuse.

Copyright ©2000-2020
נערות ליווי בבת ים |