PDA

View Full Version : Radar detector to electrical

Justin-915-Herrera
01-04-2020, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know how to connect a radar detector directly to the car's electrical system? This way I won't have to use the lighter outlet?

punkrokdood
01-04-2020, 12:40 PM
probably jsut hack off the plug, and splice it into a switched power source

whiteACRsrt05
01-04-2020, 12:43 PM
probably jsut hack off the plug, and splice it into a switched power source thats correct i use my power for the sunroof since my radar is up next to my rearview mirror

punkrokdood
01-04-2020, 12:45 PM
the only concern with that is if MAYBE there is a transformer in the plug. probably not an issue, that's usually just an issue with home plugs, not vehicle plugs

blackbird
01-04-2020, 02:08 PM
The power for the factory lighter is also already ignition switched and easy to get to if you wanted to tap into it and take the power from the dash area. That's one of the few things interior things about the Neon/SRT-4 that really bothered me when I'd be trying to charge my cell phone or something and it would cut out when you turned the car off. It's a future project for me to hard-wire the lighter to constantly be on but for you it could be a benefit how it is.

lunchbox660
01-04-2020, 02:45 PM
i have mine hardwired to the supply wires that go to the mirror lights. these lights are ignition switched so there is no problem leaving it on all the time cus when you shut the car off, i will auto power down. this way i have nice short wires, out of the way, and very inconspicuous to police officers who may peer into the car when writing a ticket they probably still wont see it. also i have the radar detector speaker disconnected and hard wired to both of the tweeters in the dash board. its alot louder than the factory speaker and works well. of course i had to disconnect the tweets from the factory stereo harness, but thats fine for me cus i have aftermarket components anyway.

whiteACRsrt05
01-04-2020, 03:44 PM
i have mine hardwired to the supply wires that go to the mirror lights. these lights are ignition switched so there is no problem leaving it on all the time cus when you shut the car off, i will auto power down. this way i have nice short wires, out of the way, and very inconspicuous to police officers who may peer into the car when writing a ticket they probably still wont see it. also i have the radar detector speaker disconnected and hard wired to both of the tweeters in the dash board. its alot louder than the factory speaker and works well. of course i had to disconnect the tweets from the factory stereo harness, but thats fine for me cus i have aftermarket components anyway.
Excellent Idea:thumb: Im gonna have to do that.

el_jefe
01-05-2020, 08:56 AM
<-- had his radar detector hard wired into the mirror lights about a week after he bought the car in 03.

It finally died though, I need a new one

blackbird
01-05-2020, 10:42 AM
http://www.valentine1.com/

:thumb:

el_jefe
01-05-2020, 10:50 AM
http://www.valentine1.com/

:thumb:

We have one at work, but I can't justify the price. I spent $120 on my old Cobra, and it served me well. Even with the Valentine, I spot the police officer before it reacts about 50% of the time (discounting times of darkness), the only thing I really miss is the directional indicators that the V1 has. Of course, being a former (military)cop and running all sorts of radar for years gives me the advantage of knowing how to evade it. :lol:

psi chick
01-05-2020, 10:57 AM
passport ftw. about $200 cheaper and the only thing the v1 has over it is the directional thing, but who gives a shit anyway. if the damn thing goes off SLOW DOWN.

th3_n00b_pwn3r
01-05-2020, 11:39 AM
i have this shitty radar detector i bought from radio shack when it was on clearance like 5 years ago. I got it for like 50 bucks at the time. That thing has been through hell and back and it still works wonders for me... i cant explain it :dunno:

blackbird
01-05-2020, 12:32 PM
passport ftw. about $200 cheaper and the only thing the v1 has over it is the directional thing, but who gives a shit anyway. if the damn thing goes off SLOW DOWN.
It's easy to say until you've lived with one for a few years. Why not always just drive slow?

The V1 has some other advantages that make the arrows possible like a dedicated rear antennae which comes in handy if a cop is coming up from behind in traffic. The 8500 X50 is a decent choice and offers similar performance in a lot of cases but to me the V1 was was worth it, even if the 8500 had been on the market when I bought mine seven years ago. I had started out with a regular detector many years prior but ended up ignoring it most of the time when it would go off and I couldn't easily tell if it was a false, where it was coming from, how strong, what band, etc.

The only place mine is going is back to get upgraded if California starts using POP mode RADAR. And the average price for the X50 is only about hundred less than the V1 from most retailers. Best bet is to try both since they have a 30-day trial/return policy and see which one you like best and are considering upgrading to one best detectors available.

cpjay2003
01-05-2020, 12:38 PM
I think I am gonna buy one of those V1's...in Florida we have wide open roads with 45 mph speed limits...wtf?

Stage2BlackSRT4
01-05-2020, 04:42 PM
Had the 8500 x50..it broke after about a year..now have the V1... 10000000 times better! IMO

Better alerts, less false alarms (new VS has a "logic" mod that filters out bad X band alerts..) new VS has: POP, POP2, Laser, KA, K(get ready to be anoyed it picks up everything for this band), X band ect, ect came with the kit to hard wire it..

The arrows are very very useful only thing i really miss about the 8500 is the auto mute and the mute button on the plug (easy to reach) the V1 does have a mute its just up on the detector itself

blackbird
01-05-2020, 08:02 PM
The arrows are very very useful only thing i really miss about the 8500 is the auto mute and the mute button on the plug (easy to reach) the V1 does have a mute its just up on the detector itself
Not standard, but you can replicate it along with a lot of other functionality.
https://store.valentine1.com/store/products/20110.htm

It works really well attached to the end of the power plug depending on the location of the cig lighter. On a few of my cars I liked it but I didn't use it much on the SRT-4. If you're trying to remain discreet putting the detector at the top of the windshield and using it mounted on the dash or steering column would work well.

The V1 also has a ton of different programming options so you can configure and tailor it how you want.

In California I've used regular Logic mode for years. I've never noticed X-band still in use by police but it's pretty smart about not sounding unless something is extremely strong or it thinks it's a threat. So in case there's ever a small town still holding out on upgrading I keep it on even though it would still go off in any mode if strong enough with normal programming settings. You can use Advanced-Logic if you don't want to see X-band showing up on the counter (they still display in Logic but don't normally "chirp") or disable it completely. Since it never bothered me, unlike cheaper detectors that go off and false way more than the V1, I just left it in Logic.
http://valentine1.com/moreinfo/pdf/controls_and_functions_pg14-16.pdf

Stage2BlackSRT4
01-05-2020, 11:02 PM
Not standard, but you can replicate it along with a lot of other functionality.

It works really well attached to the end of the power plug depending on the location of the cig lighter. On a few of my cars I liked it but I didn't use it much on the SRT-4. If you're trying to remain discreet putting the detector at the top of the windshield and using it mounted on the dash or steering column would work well.

Ya I saw that had been thinking of shelling out the 40.00 for it... might just have to..

Been using the Advanced-Logic mod and never get Xband anymore (or rare), here in the yuppy part of WA every cop out there seems to at least have K most have KA

V1 FTW !

Justin-915-Herrera
01-06-2020, 06:52 AM
You know how the instructions on the detectors say to place it in the middle of the car, as low as you can...blah blah blah? Does that really matter when it comes to detector performance?

psi chick
01-06-2020, 03:50 PM
i have used the v1 and the passport before i bought either. i got the passport. i hated the v1. it's so freaking big and bulky and it really does the same thing as the passport for a lot less. i don't care about the directional thing personally, it's not worth spending an extra $200 for, and there really aren't any other major things that the v1 can do that the passport can't.

dommo_g
01-06-2020, 04:45 PM
when you hardwire it, remember to check what fuse the plug has and put an inline fuseholder of the same value.

Copyright ©2000-2020
נערות ליווי בבת ים |