View Full Version : "Grey market" vehicles

blackbird
01-28-2017, 07:04 PM
I was just searching around on Craigslist (bad idea if you're bored, cause last time I ended up buying another car :lol: ), and ran across this:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/car/261408659.html

Almost makes me wonder what the story is behind it. There were also two of them down at a salvage yard/rebuilder in the San Diego area that I saw when I was junk yard hopping last year. Somehow I have a feeling this isn't one of the "legally" imported ones, so it would suck to have the government impound and crush it.

el_jefe
01-28-2017, 07:16 PM
I have heard varing reports about cars that are already in the country. some say that if they are alrady here, they are fine, others say that they will be impounded. All I know for sure is that only the R33 is legal for importation, but AFAIK, no one is certified to legalize them.

lunchbox660
01-28-2017, 07:21 PM
you can have all the skylines you want in the states, they cant impound it just cus you have it....you just cant take them on the street unless is legalised. lots of people inport cars strictly for racing that will never see the street, so that may be what the deal is with these ones and since they are selling it, it makes the buyer think they can already drive it on the street probably. thats where good communication becomes important :)

me personally i wouldnt bother buying it unless you know people who still live in asia, europe, or australia who can get you good parts for the NORMAL price and just ship them to you...cus finding parts for a car that was never offered in our market is going to be a tough task.

2clean2drive
01-28-2017, 07:47 PM
id buy it and put the plates off a altima or maxima on it...lol

lunchbox660
01-28-2017, 08:01 PM

um....good luck with that one....lol im pretty sure most cops would be able to tell its NOT an altima just by looking at it, considering that the altima and maxima are very popular cars....cops know what they look like...lol

the closest plate swap i think you stand a chance of pulling off would be to put plates from a mitsubishi mirage on the same year EVO. they are very closely designed and if you take the wing and badges off the older EVOs, they barely look different except for the fact that theyve got 4 doors instead of 2....the evo 1-3 are the closest ones to the mirage. the 4-6 start to look quite a bit different, but you might still get away with it....

of course, if they run a VIN you are fuked....lol

2clean2drive
01-28-2017, 08:47 PM
um....good luck with that one....lol im pretty sure most cops would be able to tell its NOT an altima just by looking at it, considering that the altima and maxima are very popular cars....cops know what they look like...lol

the closest plate swap i think you stand a chance of pulling off would be to put plates from a mitsubishi mirage on the same year EVO. they are very closely designed and if you take the wing and badges off the older EVOs, they barely look different except for the fact that theyve got 4 doors instead of 2....the evo 1-3 are the closest ones to the mirage. the 4-6 start to look quite a bit different, but you might still get away with it....

of course, if they run a VIN you are fuked....lol
i dunno cops can be pretty stupid, but yeah i was kidding if got a skyline i would only use it for the track:thumb:

lunchbox660
01-28-2017, 10:20 PM
gotcha....i wasnt sure if you were jokin or not, i know people who would say something like that and be dead serious, so i had to be sure

el_jefe
01-28-2017, 11:54 PM
I bet I could get parts for one :sneaky:

lunchbox660
01-29-2017, 12:00 AM
not saying someone couldnt get parts, just said you couldnt get them without knowing the right people...head gaskets for an RB26DETT isnt someting your local nissan dealership exactly has a surplus of...lol

sertme
01-29-2017, 12:58 AM
What about the people who do engine swaps over here? Theres more than enough of a customer base here in RB swapped S13s I would think.

lunchbox660
01-29-2017, 01:11 AM
customer base is there, youre right about that, but still youve got the uber high mark-ups that "JDM parts" shops place on shit cus they know all the JDM nuthuggers will buy ANYTHING JDM regardless of price, just because it fucking came from japan...

my gosh, i lived in japan for 5 years....been there, done that. unless a part for a USDM car is produced substandard and the JDM version is better then there isnt really any need at all for the JDM hype....thats all it is, HYPE.

now we get into parts for cars and engines that the dont even offer here.well then yea, OBVIOUSLY you are going to have to buy "JDM" in those cases, but when you go to those JDM shops, do you think they cut you a break just cus you have no other option? no, they still rape you. your only hope is that the JDM shop owner is such a JDM nuthugging faggot that when he sees what you are ordering the part for he gets all up on YOUR nuts and sponsors you for the part just so he can say he helped build your JDM ride and he got to take a ride in a real skyline...my god its gay....JDM JDM JDM....wtf is this industry coming to?

honestly, i know a guy here who opened up his own JDM parts shop. u sed to work with him, now he has this shop of his own. cool guy. but the parts he offers for the most part arent even really JDM....its all stuff made in mexico and shit with the JDM look....and the DVDs are all in english....that right there should be a dead give away to people that its not really JDM since they um...yeah, dont speak in english in japanese movies and tv... :ftard:

blackbird
01-29-2017, 04:18 AM
I read quite a bit when the Motorex scandal was unfolding. They were the company that did the certification testing and modifications to legally bring the Skyline into the US. The laws are unfortunately against the consumer, as the EPA and DOT/NHTSA all have their own requirements that must be met. Even bringing a car in as a "race car/off road only" type of vehicle isn't easy, as in most cases unless the vehicle started out as a real race car they can only be imported on a temporary basis (and with a hefty bond). Before the crackdown there were some R32 and 34's brought in, but now only the R33's officially meet the testing requirements and have been approved. Motorex doesn't have to share the steps required for conversion and importation though so you can't bring them in without going through them (which is unlikely since they are under investigation and shut down), or go through the whole recertification process on your own. You could cut the car up and reassemble it stateside along with other ways to physically get one into the country but none are really legal. If this one in question bypassed the importation requirements it very well could be seized if it wasn't brought in through the correct channels as the Customs and Border department gets involved as well.

Some links on the complex rules:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing_goods/automobiles.xml
(http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/importexportcar.ctt/importingacar.doc)

hozay09
01-29-2017, 08:14 AM

You just don't know how easily that would work. Well, at least over here on the east coast. I've been pulled over & had cops ask me WTF i was driving. I just tell em it's a neon with steroids :lol:

paintbaler1587
01-29-2017, 09:14 AM
The cop who recently pulled me over looked on my insurance card, and asked if my car was an eclipse.

blackbird
01-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Come to think of it, the last few times (heck all of them) that I have ever been stopped for anything they've only check the plates against the registration and insurance cards. Still doesn't mean I'd take the risk of trying to swap VIN plates over to an illegal car with the steering wheel on the wrong side. "It's a Camry officer, I swear." :lol:

el_jefe
01-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Come to think of it, the last few times (heck all of them) that I have ever been stopped for anything they've only check the plates against the registration and insurance cards. Still doesn't mean I'd take the risk of trying to swap VIN plates over to an illegal car with the steering wheel on the wrong side. "It's a Camry officer, I swear." :lol:

A buddy of mine is thinking about swaping vin plates on his nova, because the body has a lot of rust.

2clean2drive
01-29-2017, 02:29 PM
You just don't know how easily that would work. Well, at least over here on the east coast. I've been pulled over & had cops ask me WTF i was driving. I just tell em it's a neon with steroids :lol:
lol....yeah some cops are not too bright, then there are others that would be all over your shit like white on rice...IMO

|