View Full Version : What car to buy??

Hitman
05-21-2019, 07:59 AM
Okay, here's the deal. My wife's 2002 Passport is starting to act up and instead of putting more money into it, I'm thinking about trading it in for something else. The blue book value is around 9-10k. We're looking to get something around 15-17k. She's been looking at Mazda 3's. I think a VW rabbit or Passat, Nissan Sentra could also be on the list. Any ideas? Best bang for the buck?? She needs something that isn't going to suck up gas that can get her back and forth to work. Thanks! :thumb:

timmy
05-21-2019, 08:04 AM
The Nissan Versa gets really good mileage.

punkrokdood
05-21-2019, 08:39 AM
i know where you can get a 2000 mercury tracer for cheap :rofl:

seriously though, i had a passat, and get AT LEAST the 1.8T... even then, it'll need some modding to not feel sluggish. i had a VR6, and it was pretty painful going up hills.

i REALLY like the newer mazda3's, especially the mazdaspeed... a golf 1.8t wouldn't be bad

Hitman
05-21-2019, 09:14 AM
She had a rental for the weekend which was a Subaru Forrester. I drove it a few times and I have to say it accelerated nicely. It's out of our price range and she thought it looked like a station wagon.

punkrokdood
05-21-2019, 09:16 AM
out of that list, i'd have to say the VW's would probably be the nicest as far as interior goes. a jetta or golf with the 1.8t is a pretty decent commuter IMO... they can be modded if you want, but have enough power to get around in and not feel painfully slow

timmy
05-21-2019, 09:21 AM
out of that list, i'd have to say the VW's would probably be the nicest as far as interior goes. a jetta or golf with the 1.8t is a pretty decent commuter IMO... they can be modded if you want, but have enough power to get around in and not feel painfully slow
Eric might disagree with you on that one. :lol:

punkrokdood
05-21-2019, 09:35 AM
Eric might disagree with you on that one. :lol:
i dunno... a NEW mazda might be close... the nissan isn't BAD, but IIRC its nothing particularly special

timmy
05-21-2019, 09:45 AM
i dunno... a NEW mazda might be close... the nissan isn't BAD, but IIRC its nothing particularly special
His rental VW only had 2 speakers. :lol:

el_jefe
05-21-2019, 10:06 AM
I'd get a Versa before I got a Sentra for a commuter car. The sentra has a bit more performance, but not much

blackbird
05-21-2019, 10:40 AM
His rental VW only had 2 speakers. :lol:
CrapWagen piece of... :lol:

blackbird
05-21-2019, 10:51 AM
New or late model used. And if used how old. And any particular type of cars?

If you're looking new the VW's are probably out of your range and the very base ones are pretty stripped. The Mazda 3 has pretty nice driving dynamics and ok mileage. A new car in that price range is probably going to be a compact. The new Civic seems like a reasonable car if you don't mind the styling and should hold a pretty good retail value. The Corolla is getting pretty old and due for a refresh but the Yaris seems like a decent replacement for the Echo and has nice economy numbers. Nissan's are, um, "different". GM has the Cobalt and G5 which aren't bad but mileage isn't the greatest. You could probably get a killer deal on a Focus right now since they're getting refreshed next year and even with the older platform they're still fun to drive with ok mileage (better this year due to PCM calibration and you can pick up the entire SVT suspension which will bolt on for ~$250). Also don't forget to shop the Hyundai and Kia's. The new Optima looks pretty nice and might just fit into your price range if you watch the options and it would be a bigger car. Some of the Suzuki's aren't bad to drive and if you like the looks the new SX4 is based on the Swift chassis and sounds like it has potential as a drivers car.

You might also be able to get a slightly larger, mid-size domestic with some rebates at a good price (base Fusion, Malibu, etc.).

Hitman
05-21-2019, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the information. I knew I could count on all of you for ideas.

dommo_g
05-21-2019, 01:47 PM
You have my vote for the Mazda3. Especially if you go for the Grand Touring super pimped out model.

2clean2drive
05-21-2019, 02:47 PM
i would like to second the jetta vote, also the hyundais are pretty nice as of late....

Hitman
05-21-2019, 03:35 PM
She's leaning towards the mazda, but I wanted to get some input before we get any deeper. Since our budget won't allow her first choice, Saturn Sky, she's trying for something slightly sporty.....

punkrokdood
05-21-2019, 03:38 PM
She's leaning towards the mazda, but I wanted to get some input before we get any deeper. Since our budget won't allow her first choice, Saturn Sky, she's trying for something slightly sporty.....
slostice is a few thousand cheaper... unless you're talking turbo versions :thumb:

Jakencub
05-21-2019, 07:02 PM
Check into the 4-door Toyota Yaris. We got one with the stereo and upgraded rear seats (flips down to allow access to the trunk). It costs 13500, we got it for 13 flat. We average 36 mpg (basically mix of city/country driving, get around 40 on highway trips to DC/bmore). Comfortable car for two big guys, good acceleration, good handling.

2clean2drive
05-21-2019, 09:04 PM
Check into the 4-door Toyota Yaris. We got one with the stereo and upgraded rear seats (flips down to allow access to the trunk). It costs 13500, we got it for 13 flat. We average 36 mpg (basically mix of city/country driving, get around 40 on highway trips to DC/bmore). Comfortable car for two big guys, good acceleration, good handling.
does that mean the srt-4 is still in pieces in your kitchen?

blackbird
05-22-2019, 05:59 AM
Who keeps a car in pieces in their kitchen? That's what spare bedrooms are for. :thumb:

dommo_g
05-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Go test drive a Mazda3.

ENDY
05-22-2019, 12:41 PM
The Mazdaspeed3 (turbo) is a nice car. I ran up against one on the interstate last saturday and he easily kept up with my s2. The mazda wasn't factory, of course. The owner had upgraded the top mount intercooler, added a cold air intake and bov (and some other things). I had him on the lower range, but higher speeds was all his.

And I had a Suzuki before I got into my SRT. That Suzuki was one of THE BEST cars I ever owned. Never had a single problem (even though I beat on it daily) and the milage was good too. I still miss that car............ Okay...... not so much since I got the SRT, but you know what I mean.

dommo_g
05-23-2019, 01:35 AM
The Mazdaspeed3 (turbo) is a nice car. I ran up against one on the interstate last saturday and he easily kept up with my s2. The mazda wasn't factory, of course. The owner had upgraded the top mount intercooler, added a cold air intake and bov (and some other things). I had him on the lower range, but higher speeds was all his.

I have to agree.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/dommo_g/Speed3/Speed3b-w016small-1.jpg

2clean2drive
05-23-2019, 02:14 AM
Who keeps a car in pieces in their kitchen? That's what spare bedrooms are for. :thumb:
how come i know you are not kidding?:rofl:

sota
05-23-2019, 07:11 AM
5spd PT Cruiser out of the realm of possiblity?
My mom (yes... my 4'11" 100lb soaking wet MOM) has one and loves it. mid/high 30s for MPG on a regular basis.

sota
05-23-2019, 07:13 AM
also the wifie's 05 Stratus SXT (2.7L v6 4spd auto) does very nicely on mileage... high 20s low 30s especially on the long runs from NJ to Pittsburgh, PA.

kulapiku
05-23-2019, 10:08 AM
the new avenger is a nice car.. looks are up to the person but they drive nice. Dunno about mpg etc though

ENDY
05-23-2019, 11:51 AM
I have to agree.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/dommo_g/Speed3/Speed3b-w016small-1.jpg

You have one? Noice! :thumb:

I've always liked Mazda's and this one really impressed me. If I didn't have the SRT, I'd defenetly look into getting one of these. Mazda really knocked this one out of the park.

Hitman
05-31-2019, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the input. Picked up the Mazda 3 yesterday. My wife loves it and they gave us the upgraded model at the base price and they gave us what we wanted for the trade in.

timmy
05-31-2019, 11:31 AM
Nice!

Broken5hift
05-31-2019, 01:23 PM
damn wish i saw this thread earlier......... or at all.

im in the same boat. with the kid on the way i gotta ditch the pickup (and my straight pipes *cry*) for something more practical?

unless i can run over another car or its fast i cant see myself buying anything else. i like the 3's, id prefer a speed3 but i dont see the point in buying a car i dont really want. but i have to get something i can put a baby seat in so i might just lease something for now thats cheap and good on gas

timmy
05-31-2019, 01:25 PM

im in the same boat. with the kid on the way i gotta ditch the pickup (and my straight pipes *cry*) for something more practical?

unless i can run over another car or its fast i cant see myself buying anything else. i like the 3's, id prefer a speed3 but i dont see the point in buying a car i dont really want. but i have to get something i can put a baby seat in so i might just lease something for now thats cheap and good on gas
06 VW GTI's start at 22k. They have a 2 door and 4 door version. Plus, either a six speed manual, or a paddle shift auto.

If I buy another new car anytime soon, that's what I'm going to get.

Broken5hift
05-31-2019, 01:27 PM
eh. i hate VW. they are pretty much my most hated car brand. the GTIs are so slow its not even funny (imo)

i was thinking about leasing a 300C or a dodge nitro. only problem is once i get there im adding in the R/T and every option under the sun and then im at like 30k. i hate car shopping.

blackbird
05-31-2019, 01:35 PM
CrapWagen's... grrr...

timmy
05-31-2019, 01:37 PM
eh. i hate VW. they are pretty much my most hated car brand. the GTIs are so slow its not even funny (imo)

i was thinking about leasing a 300C or a dodge nitro. only problem is once i get there im adding in the R/T and every option under the sun and then im at like 30k. i hate car shopping.
I'm not a fan of leasing. I could never keep it under the mileage anyway. :lol: Plus, you can't mod anything without taking a loss, even if it's just window tint.

DJ2
05-31-2019, 01:59 PM

I know a car that you can put a baby seat in, has good power and seems to be selling for around $11K to Carmax... :lol:

Broken5hift
05-31-2019, 02:09 PM
I know a car that you can put a baby seat in, has good power and seems to be selling for around $11K to Carmax... :lol:

:rofl: :rofl:

ViscousCircles
05-31-2019, 02:11 PM
You have my vote for the Mazda3. Especially if you go for the Grand Touring super pimped out model.

Agreed, a girlfriend of mine just bought one (sedan) They feel really solid and the interior is uber fast. It basically pwns all other cars in its class (according to most reviewers)

DJ2
05-31-2019, 02:14 PM
Agreed, a girlfriend of mine just bought one (sedan) They feel really solid and the interior is uber fast. It basically pwns all other cars in its class (according to most reviewers)
STFU RICER! :fu:

:ooroll:

Hitman
06-01-2019, 08:03 AM
So we get a call from the dealership yesterday saying they made a mistake on the interest rate and it needs to go from 5.9 to 6.4. F-that!!! They had two days to run our credit and they told us it was great and we had no problems. It's their screw up so I think they should eat the difference.

Broken5hift
06-01-2019, 08:40 AM
So we get a call from the dealership yesterday saying they made a mistake on the interest rate and it needs to go from 5.9 to 6.4. F-that!!! They had two days to run our credit and they told us it was great and we had no problems. It's their screw up so I think they should eat the difference.

wtf thats a scam and a half. tell them your contacting your lawyer and then play some BF2142 or something

punkrokdood
06-01-2019, 08:46 AM
:werd:

leave the car there, and demand your old one back... they gave you a "good deal" planning on you caving in, and them pocketing the interest points... VERY common trick

Hitman
06-01-2019, 08:55 AM

leave the car there, and demand your old one back... they gave you a "good deal" planning on you caving in, and them pocketing the interest points... VERY common trick

I'll play hard ass, but I'm trying to weigh paying the extra $200 or my wife being pissed off if I leave the car.

punkrokdood
06-01-2019, 09:06 AM
I'll play hard ass, but I'm trying to weigh paying the extra $200 or my wife being pissed off if I leave the car.
:yikes:

is that per month, or over the term of the loan? I'd tell her ahead of time, then MAYBE she won't be so mad... :dunno:

i think my wife would understand, but i haven't bought her a new car that she really likes yet, so i can see it going either way :lol:

Pr3mium Brewed
06-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Pft don't cave bro, that's bullshit. If you go drop the car off and demand your car back I bet they'll back peddle.

punkrokdood
06-01-2019, 09:15 AM
Pft don't cave bro, that's bullshit. If you go drop the car off and demand your car back I bet they'll back peddle.

just be prepared to actually drive off, and not go back... leave your number and say "call me when the interest rate goes back to 5.9" they'll call within a week...

Pr3mium Brewed
06-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Definitely. I hate buying a new car, its such a hassle. I started paperwork at 4 different dealerships when I bought my SRT before I found one that was willing to be reasonable. Those dumbasses were acting like the ACR was such a hot ticket item that they didn't need to negotiate, they'd sell themselves. One of the dealerships I went to still has the same two on the lot. :ftard:

Hitman
06-01-2019, 10:01 AM
:yikes:

is that per month, or over the term of the loan? I'd tell her ahead of time, then MAYBE she won't be so mad... :dunno:

i think my wife would understand, but i haven't bought her a new car that she really likes yet, so i can see it going either way :lol:

That would be over the entire 5 year loan. It averages to $2-3 more a month. It's still dick on their part no matter the amount. Only reason I went with them for financing was because they were lower than my credit union. Credit Union is only .1 higher than them now. If it was just me, I'd say keep the car. I wonder if they'd pull the old "We all ready sold your trade in".......

timmy
06-01-2019, 10:09 AM
That would be over the entire 5 year loan. It averages to $2-3 more a month. It's still dick on their part no matter the amount. Only reason I went with them for financing was because they were lower than my credit union. Credit Union is only .1 higher than them now. If it was just me, I'd say keep the car. I wonder if they'd pull the old "We all ready sold your trade in".......
Probally. I would take it back, and buy an identical Mazda 3 somewhere else. Especially if they don't have the one you want on site, and get it from the dealer you dealt with at first. Then visit that dealer in your new car.

kulapiku
06-01-2019, 10:10 AM

I wouldn't be surprised... Look at your paperwork, if they have signed the contract where it states your interest rate is X.XX% then fuck em. Last time i checked, it is just as much a legal contract for them as it is for you...

I would ask them how much money they are going to make on the deal when you walk away... Make them wonder if its worth 200 bones to lose $XXXX

timmy
06-01-2019, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised... Look at your paperwork, if they have signed the contract where it states your interest rate is X.XX% then fuck em. Last time i checked, it is just as much a legal contract for them as it is for you...
If not, then say you've decided to pay 0% interest, if they aren't bound by the contract, you shouldn't be either.

91 gt
06-01-2019, 10:17 AM
They can NOT sell you trade until the loan docs are shipped to the lender. I had this same situation when i bought my Mazda 3 in september. However I didn't fight! (my first new car, too excited and very blind, just wanted it to be overwith!) Ultimatly they are going to want to sell the car. The should and will do anything they can to get it done.

kulapiku
06-01-2019, 10:18 AM
If not, then say you've decided to pay 0% interest, if they aren't bound by the contract, you shouldn't be either.

exactly....:thumb: The way i see it.. if they aren't legally bound by it, then who is in the contract.. just you. Are you going to sue yourself for breaching it? I didn't think so.

ENDY
06-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Hitman,

Its a total scam and I fell for it once. I bought a new car back in 2000 and they made me come back and sign a new contract.....for a higher interest rate, of course. I later found out (thru an exsalesmen) that this is a typical trick the dealerships use. Seriously, if the loan company didn't agree to grant you a loan for XX% interest, why would they OK the sale to the dealership? Trust me, the loan companies WILL NOT grant ANYONE a loan (for whatever interest rate) if they don't approve of it right then. IOW, they don't give a loan out then change their minds after everything is signed. If you have a signed contract or bill of sale from the dealership (with their signature) then it is a legal contract and they cannot break it. If they threaten to come and take the car back, tell them you'll call the police and make a stolen car report. Nashville Dodge did that shit to someone last year. The person called the police and reported it stolen and that Nashville Dodge stole the car. Sure enough, the police showed up at the dealership (the car was there....VIN was confirmed), so the cops slapped handcuffs on the sales men who ordered the car be brought back and lead him off to jail. If you have a signed legal contract there is nothing they can do to change it. I'm sure any lawyer can confirm this for ya. Don't let these fuckers get away with screwing you over. If they get away with it with you, then they'll keep doing it to everybody else who won't stand up for themselves and this will become a common thing. :furious3:

punkrokdood
06-01-2019, 12:15 PM
then say, "well, that's not my problem... this isn't the deal i agreed upon, so you can put me in a car of equal value to my trade in, or keep to your sale agreement"

punkrokdood
06-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Hitman,

Its a total scam and I fell for it once. I bought a new car back in 2000 and they made me come back and sign a new contract.....for a higher interest rate, of course. I later found out (thru an exsalesmen) that this is a typical trick the dealerships use. Seriously, if the loan company didn't agree to grant you a loan for XX% interest, why would they OK the sale to the dealership? Trust me, the loan companies WILL NOT grant ANYONE a loan (for whatever interest rate) if they don't approve of it right then. IOW, they don't give a loan out then change their minds after everything is signed. If you have a signed contract or bill of sale from the dealership (with their signature) then it is a legal contract and they cannot break it. If they threaten to come and take the car back, tell them you'll call the police and make a stolen car report. Nashville Dodge did that shit to someone last year. The person called the police and reported it stolen and that Nashville Dodge stole the car. Sure enough, the police showed up at the dealership (the car was there....VIN was confirmed), so the cops slapped handcuffs on the sales men who ordered the car be brought back and lead him off to jail. If you have a signed legal contract there is nothing they can do to change it. I'm sure any lawyer can confirm this for ya. Don't let these fuckers get away with screwing you over. If they get away with it with you, then they'll keep doing it to everybody else who won't stand up for themselves and this will become a common thing. :furious3:

this is probably a better way to handle it... if you have a signed contract, then you should be good to go...

tell them "no thanks, i'm happy with what i have"

timmy
06-01-2019, 12:24 PM
I kinda got scammed the same way when I bought the SRT-4. A week after the deal was closed, I got a call saying that they lost the original contract and I needed to resign it. But the damn bastards didn't have it filled out, and I couldn't come back any other time because of my work schedule. When I got my first bill, my downpayment didn't show up on it. So, I think the dealership took it.

SassySRT
06-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Same thing happened to me when I bought the SRT, 3 days after I took it home they called saying the APR was wrong. I went back and handed them the keys and told them to take it back. They freaked out and managed to get me an even better deal then I started with.

Pr3mium Brewed
06-01-2019, 12:32 PM
I kinda got scammed the same way when I bought the SRT-4. A week after the deal was closed, I got a call saying that they lost the original contract and I needed to resign it. But the damn bastards didn't have it filled out, and I couldn't come back any other time because of my work schedule. When I got my first bill, my downpayment didn't show up on it. So, I think the dealership took it.
WTF???? and you let them have it?

timmy
06-01-2019, 12:39 PM
WTF???? and you let them have it?
I couldn't do anything by that time. I handed them $2000 cash when I got the car. So, I had no physical proof of giving them a downpayment. :owned:

Jakencub
06-01-2019, 03:46 PM
I couldn't do anything by that time. I handed them $2000 cash when I got the car. So, I had no physical proof of giving them a downpayment. :owned:

Yeah the salesman f'ed you on that one, when ever you leave a deposit, you are suppose to get a receipt from them.

Jakencub
06-01-2019, 03:48 PM
does that mean the srt-4 is still in pieces in your kitchen?

nope, waiting on one turbo fitting from AGP via Turbonetics, and we can start the car. after 20 months in the barn with parts in the kitchen/bedroom/spare bedroom/computer room/shed, I cant wait to finally get it going again.

Jakencub
06-01-2019, 03:49 PM

well, they stayed in the kitchen for a while, until i moved them to the other rooms.

Jakencub
06-01-2019, 03:50 PM
btw, nice car hitman

blackbird
06-01-2019, 06:05 PM
This is a pretty common tactic some dealers like to use. They hope you (or your wife exactly what you're saying) fall in love with the car and will be wiling to come back and fork over more money to them. Auto dealers don't do financing for free and don't always look for a deal in your best interest. They get a cut from the financing institution on your loan.

If you buy a car really late at night or on a holiday when the banks are closed their loan officers will sometimes review your credit and make a decision on their own if you'll qualify for a certain rate. On rare occasions they won't be able to get that rate for whatever reasons but most are pretty good with working in the business so long they can get a good feel for what will and won't go through. That happened with a friend of mine once. She had a credit card but no long credit history but was also in the military with steady employment. The dealer thought they could qualify her for a rate but turns out the bank wouldn't buy off on it due to minimal credit history. They ended up only being able to get credit at almost double the rate they initially thought so she returned the car and found another one elsewhere.

Other times they'll intentionally do what they might be doing with you now in hopes to make a little more money. "Well it's only a couple hundred" is exactly what they want you to think. On a mater of principle I wouldn't let them get away with it. The contract laws in different states are going to be different but most do have a clause about final financing and loan approval. Read it over very carefully, fine print and all. Like I'm pretty sure in California if they can't secure financing they say you do have to return the car. It's usually called an unwind or wind-down and it costs them money to prep the car for sale again, paperwork, etc. So if they can't secure financing you might have to take the car back but also if you sign a contract and they have to change it after the fact, in most areas (I'm guessing all places) you can take the car back and get your money or trade back.

I've also heard of dealers selling or sending trades off to auction before the deal wen through in some areas and the horror stories of some laws saying they only have to pay book or "market" value if that happens in some areas while most places don't allow that until everything is finalized.

If it were me I'd return to the dealer and ask to speak with the manager. Tell them point blank you will not accept the increase and they can either go through with the original deal or toss them the keys. Even if it was a financing issue they may just agree to pay the difference themselves to get you the original rate. And if they don't want to I'm sure you can get the identical car elsewhere for the same deal or better.

rcollazo
06-01-2019, 06:25 PM
In most dealers they have a % increase of 3%. For example, if the bank approved you for 6.0% the dealer get to add an additional 3% on top to make it 9%. For this the dealer get a Bonus check from the bank. In your case it looks like they made you a great deal, maybe to good. Usally a commision for a new car sale is $200.00 to $500.00 plus some incetives from the manufacturer. Maybe the price was so low that there was not enough money for the sales person and they are trying to getting some money; your $200.00!!

dommo_g
06-02-2019, 01:03 AM
I'm sure you'll get the deal worked out, just don't do anything that Timmy would do...LOL. And get some pics of the car up. Did you end up with a Grand Touring?

timmy
06-02-2019, 10:27 AM
I'm sure you'll get the deal worked out, just don't do anything that Timmy would do...LOL. And get some pics of the car up. Did you end up with a Grand Touring?
:owned:

Hitman
06-02-2019, 10:33 AM
Okay, they explained it and I kind of understand, but still don't agree with it. For the sake of appeasing my wife, I let it go.

kulapiku
06-02-2019, 12:32 PM
Okay, they explained it and I kind of understand, but still don't agree with it. For the sake of appeasing my wife, I let it go.

boooooo....:paranoid:

th3_n00b_pwn3r
06-04-2019, 10:52 AM
show us some pics......... ?

punkrokdood
06-04-2019, 10:54 AM
i guess happiness can be worth $200 over the course of what, 5 years?

blackbird
06-04-2019, 10:59 AM
i guess happiness can be worth $200 over the course of what, 5 years?
Coming from the mouth of a newly married guy. I guess she got you trained pretty quick. :rofl:

punkrokdood
06-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Coming from the mouth of a newly married guy. I guess she got you trained pretty quick. :rofl:
:rofl:
i wouldn't go THAT far... but yea... it all comes down to "if the wife's happy, everyone's happy" :lol:

dommo_g
06-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Pictures?

|