View Full Version : Anyone here ever owned a Dakota R/T???

Buckonine
07-29-2017, 11:40 AM
I've been looking on and off for a while now at adding to the stable to vehicles, and have wanted to get a pick-up for awhile. I have been hitting up autotrader and seem drawn to the '98 to 2003 Dakota R/T's. You can find some reviews on Edmunds.com and people blast them for their horrible gas mileage. I'm trying not to kill myself with something worse than my SRT...The only other thing that I find myself looking at are the Ford Lightnings, but that is a Ford...

Anyone have any experience with a R/T? Like'm, hate'm?

lunchbox660
07-29-2017, 02:01 PM
the mileage may not be the greatest, but for a pickup truck they are pretty damned fast, and there is alot of aftermarket support for them since so many people picked them up. you slap a supercharger on that badboy and you will probably have more fun smoking people with that than you do with your SRT4... not to mention its RWD, so much more forgiving of a drive

blackbird
07-30-2017, 05:14 AM
Pretty quick and a nice truck but nowhere near as fast as a Lightening, stock-for-stock, and the SVT can be made to go much faster for not as much money. Off memory the stock, regular cab 5.9L R/T's were a decent 14-second truck but the extended cabs are heavier and slower. I remember playing around with them in my Spirit R/T when they first came out. Neither truck is going to tow a lot (~5-6k pounds) or have a high payload if you haul a lot of stuff and both have terrible mileage. The old 360 in the R/T is probably going to get about the same as the SVT or worse.

I guess a better question is what you want it for. If you just want a sporty truck but don't have a real need for functionality either one wouldn't be a bad choice. And if you do need functionality then other trucks might be a better choice.

KiDD
07-30-2017, 07:35 AM
My friend has a older one. Its the square body truck. It has a Supercharged 360ci Motor. Its quick as shit and lots a parts out there for it.

AJ Quick
07-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Got a friend with the 5.9L Durango.

Great SUV. Our Dakota is just the measily 4.3 V6 or whatever size it is. But I really like that truck. 98-03 is definitely the best Bodystyle for a Dakota out there.

WTF was Dodge thinking when they started designing cars in the 2000's?

Buckonine
07-31-2017, 02:10 AM
All that I'm looking for is a pick-up to use on occasion. Something to move random furniture and occasional electronics. I got ahold of a refurb Onkyo surround sound system, and that was a complete mess trying to get it all into my SRT. I hate having to depend on other people to help when you are moving/buying things that you can completely handle on your own.

Maybe I just spend to much time on craigslist...there is so much random stuff that I would like to get, but by the time I figure in all the time I would have to deal with other people to move/get the items, it just really isn't work the hassle...

I could get a smaller engine in a Dakota, but I just can't pass up the chance of getting a 360 in a truck that size. (Little Red Express anyone?)

AJ Quick
07-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Well.. You might not enjoy the 12mpg.

sota
08-01-2017, 06:42 AM
Get a trailer.
lemme get you a link.

sota
08-01-2017, 06:47 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90154

I got one of those a couple years ago.
you bolt it together, get a sheet of 4' x 8' plywood and rip it in half short side, get some sheet metal screws and screw it down, make a set of side stakes and rails out of common 2x4's and you're done. handy little fucker to have, cheaper than another vehicle.

sometimes they even run a special where you get free shipping.

|