Go Back   SRTsyndicate > SRT-4 Other Discussion > SRT Problems/Dealer Service
Register FAQ Homepage Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

SRT Problems/Dealer Service Dealer screwing you on warranty work? Bad experiences? Problems with your car? Spread the word! Post it up here.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
The-Violator
I R L33T!

Steering wheel shaking.

Well about a month ago my steering wheel began to shake at highway speeds. So I think no biggie, I probably just lost a weight or something. Well I started noticing that it doesn't always do it. I can be crusing one day at 75 and it be smooth as butter, but then the next day shake worse than Michael J Fox. So I'm wondering what it could be.. Any ideas??

www.ViolatorSRT4.com

Last edited by The-Violator; 01-23-2019 at 06:43 PM.
The-Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #2
punkrokdood

it might be the PCM pulling boost

actually, it does sound like a weight or something, but doesn't make sense that its sporadic. have you checked the CV joints and all that, make sure the axles are tight? bigger wheels have been known to cause similar issues, but i can't remember what size yours are, and you've had them a while anyway. maybe check the lug nuts too... sounds like something is just a little loose
Old 01-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
The-Violator
I R L33T!

I guess I could check the axle nuts.. Now where's my 1.25in socket at. lol I'm pretty sure it's not a BROKEN axle as I've had that happen already and I know what it feels like and this ain't it.

What am I looking for on the CV joints?

www.ViolatorSRT4.com
Old 01-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
OWN3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Violator
Well about a month ago my steering wheel began to shake at highway speeds. So I think no biggie, I probably just lost a weight or something. Well I started noticing that it doesn't always do it. I can be crusing one day at 75 and it be smooth as butter, but then the next day shake worse than Michael J Fox. So I'm wondering what it could be.. Any ideas??

Last edited by OWN3D; 01-23-2019 at 06:51 PM.
OWN3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
punkrokdood

Quote:
I guess I could check the axle nuts.. Now where's my 1.25in socket at. lol I'm pretty sure it's not a BROKEN axle as I've had that happen already and I know what it feels like and this ain't it.

What am I looking for on the CV joints?
holes in the boot, no grease around. also, sometimes axles "break" but they still work. they'll be loose and move around when you grab it and shake it. it should not do that. other than that, all i can think of is the hub spacer in your wheel, but there is no way that should be missing or damaged unless the wheel was taken off.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
The-Violator
I R L33T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrokdood
holes in the boot, no grease around. also, sometimes axles "break" but they still work. they'll be loose and move around when you grab it and shake it. it should not do that. other than that, all i can think of is the hub spacer in your wheel, but there is no way that should be missing or damaged unless the wheel was taken off.
Yeah I know, that's how both my stock axles broke.. They still worked.. I remember being able to make it shake last time by applying throttle, but in neutral, it didn't shake at all.. Even if I put it in neutral, it still shakes now, so I don't think that's it.

I could go down to Big-O and have them rebalance my wheels, but that's $10 a pop and I don't have shit for money to be wasting it if it's not the problem.

I dunno, I'll do a full inspection this weekend I guess and see what I can come up with.

www.ViolatorSRT4.com
Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
punkrokdood

Quote:
Yeah I know, that's how both my stock axles broke.. They still worked.. I remember being able to make it shake last time by applying throttle, but in neutral, it didn't shake at all.. Even if I put it in neutral, it still shakes now, so I don't think that's it.

I could go down to Big-O and have them rebalance my wheels, but that's $10 a pop and I don't have shit for money to be wasting it if it's not the problem.

I dunno, I'll do a full inspection this weekend I guess and see what I can come up with.
there are some known issues with the steering system. i honestly can't remember what they were, or what the symptoms were. may want to check into that... i'm pretty sure there is a TSB for it, if not, there is a fix that everyone does when they have the problem
Old 01-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
slow poke
Regional Moderator

improper torque on the wheels seems to cause it too(on mine anyways). i'm assuming you already took the crush washer off the stud ?

so far 10.18 @ 133.35 w/a 1.47 60' CRUSHING the liittle 9" slick with the project fox.
with more pills to go !!!!!
http://
slow poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
The-Violator
I R L33T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow poke
improper torque on the wheels seems to cause it too(on mine anyways). i'm assuming you already took the crush washer off the stud ?
Yeah of course. I've never actually torqed them down properly, so maybe I'll have to go get me a tq wrench set and actually do shit right this time. lol 100ft/lbs right?

www.ViolatorSRT4.com

Last edited by The-Violator; 01-23-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #10
punkrokdood

Quote:
Yeah of course. I've never actually torqed them down properly, so maybe I'll have to go get me a tq wrench set and actually do shit right this time. lol 100ft/lbs right?
i do 125 or 150on mine... its tight as my tq wrench goes whichever it is
Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
slow poke
Regional Moderator

yes 100lbs....

so far 10.18 @ 133.35 w/a 1.47 60' CRUSHING the liittle 9" slick with the project fox.
with more pills to go !!!!!
http://
slow poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
blackbird

The TSB was for a popping noise/feel when you push or pull on the steering wheel. It replaced the shaft in the upper part of the column.

An axle or bearing could be a cause, but I'd maybe try rotating the wheels first to see if it changes. That would be a good way to rule out a wheel imbalance (and while you're rotating them check to make sure the wheel isn't bent, especially on the inside rim). Because it's not happening all the time would make me think it might not be a balance issue.

And the wheel lug torque according to the FSM is ~95 ft-lbs if I remember correct. You definitely wouldn't want to go well over a 100 ft-lbs as you'd stretch the studs and make them a lot more prone to failure.

Eric H.
'04 eBlue SRT-4 + four other turbo Dodge's + a turbo GM + some truck... and a few other cars
blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #13
camroran

Bet you its a bent rim on the inside happend to me verrrry small bend you can almost barley see it but soon as i hit 80 mph Steering wheel goes crazzy its usually allways in the front also

moved that rim to the back Smooth again

God made Speed.

Last edited by camroran; 01-23-2019 at 08:17 PM.
camroran is offline   Reply With Quote